Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 09-25-2023: Re-Securing the Splash Shield, Laundry Drop Off, Pork Filet Dinner

 1. Back in February of 2019, I ran over a chunk of ice on I-90 just east of Coeur d'Alene and it slightly dislodged the Sube's underbody splash shield. After a pulmonary appointment that day, I took the Sube to Les Schwab Tire Center and one of their guys re-secured the shield and all was well. Just over two months later, the shield slipped, was rubbing against the front tire on the driver's side. I took it to Silver Valley Tire and a guy there re-secured the shield with zip ties. Today, almost two years and a half years later, I went to Silver Valley Tire first thing this morning because the splash shield need to be secured again. 

I hope it stays in place or at least another couple of years or so.

2. When I wash blankets in our washing machine, the machine rocks and nearly walks away. Today I needed to have blankets laundered and so I dropped them off at Laundry X-Press. I'd never asked them to launder anything for me before, but today I decided that rather than hanging out at the laundromat, I'd pay to have these blankets cleaned and dried. 

It worked! 

I returned around 4:00 and the blankets were ready to go, folded neatly and packed in a large plastic bag. 

3. Debbie is in charge of our HelloFresh orders. We've agreed, over the last several months, to order meatless HelloFresh entrees. They've been splendid.

This week, however, Debbie changed things up and today I prepared Tuscan pork filet served on top of garlicky tomato spaghetti with roasted zucchini. 

All I had to do was cover the two small, thick pieces of pork with Tuscan heat spice and sear them. Once seared, I put them in the oven on a baking sheet that also held half moons of chopped zucchini.

While these roasted, I boiled a packet of spaghetti and, in the pan I used to sear the pork, I heated some oil and cooked a batch of chopped tomato and finely chopped garlic. After a couple of minutes, I added some pasta water, chicken stock concentrate, and packet of cream cheese to make a sauce.

By now, the zucchini and pork came out of the oven and I had drained the spaghetti.

I added the spaghetti and zucchini to the sauce, tossed it all for a minute or so, and then sliced the two pork pieces into medallions. I put the spaghetti covered with sauce and zucchini into bowls and split the pieces of pork between them. I added parmesan cheese.

It was fun to prepare and eat a HelloFresh meal using meat. 

I learned more about cooking pork.

And best of all

It worked! 

No comments: