Friday, October 6, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 10-05-2023: Talking Transplant at Sacred Heart, More Tests to Come, Enjoy Every Sandwich

1. As I mentioned earlier, this was a kidney week for me. I had two telephone interviews on Tuesday. Today, at noon, at Pinehurst Elementary School, Debbie and I piled into the Camry, blasted off, and landed at Providence Sacred Heart where we had two appointments at the Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Clinic. 

A tiny bit of background. I have been listed for a transplant for eight years and six months. I've accrued time, but have been inactive on the list since August of 2020 when I turned down the offer of an organ. Starting October 15th, I'll be on the active list again and it's very likely I'll be offered another organ sooner than later. 

So, a while back, I received a call from the program telling me that since I'm essentially 70 years old, I need to check in at the clinic at least once every six months instead of once a year. 

That's why I had an appointment today.

Debbie will be my primary support person should I be transplanted and we arranged for the two of us to meet with one of the transplant coordinators, Tara Wolf,  and have her explain the entire transplant process, starting with me getting a phone call with an offer, continuing with what happens when I go to the hospital, and then discussing Debbie's role in my post-surgery care.

She guided us through it all, patiently and clearly. 

We understand, now, with a clarity we didn't have before, that the telephone offer is just a first step and that a number of things have to happen before the transplant gets a green light: the organ has to be removed from the donor, it has to be analyzed for its viability, tests need to be run to make sure it's a good match for me, and the organ has to be transported to Spokane. 

Meanwhile, once I arrive at the hospital, I am evaluated -- EKG, bloodwork, Covid test, and other examinations to make sure I'm healthy enough for the surgery.

When I go into surgery and as I recover, Debbie goes through an intensive education process. She's given a notebook to keep records in, with instructions on giving me medicine (photos of the pills included), and she learns what her many other responsibilities are post-transplant. 

After the transplant, we would stay in Spokane for about 7-10 days. I'd be in the hospital for about three days and would return about three times in the week after being discharged for bloodwork, medicine management, and overall evaluation.

As my primary support person, Debbie's responsibilities are numerous, and she'll have the support of the transplant clinic every day, with ongoing instruction and help with questions and problems, if any arise. 

Learning all of this in one concentrated and focused conversation was exactly what we wanted going into today's appointment and we were both satisfied with all that we learned and feel much better prepared for moving through this transplant and recovery process. 

2. Our discussion with Dr. Nassir Khan, Medical Director of the Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Program was shorter and very helpful. He explained aspects of Chronic Kidney Disease that I didn't know much about, nor did Debbie, and he told me that he wants to take a deeper look at my lungs and heart and ordered two tests, a CT scan and a walking test. 

His concerns about my lungs and heart are directly connected to when I got hurt in 1973 at the Zinc Plant. 

As I've said a million times, the Zinc Plant always lives in me. 

3.  Warren Zevon was terminally ill and, in 2004,  made his last appearance on The David Letterman Show. Letterman asked him if he any advice for the rest of us as he neared death. 

Warren Zevon did have advice: Enjoy every sandwich. 

Debbie and I left Spokane and rocketed straight to Fred Meyer in Coeur d'Alene. I'd eaten a couple of slices of toast in the morning and nothing since, so I hotfooted it straight to the deli and ordered a delicious honey ham and cheese sandwich on a croissant that also included cranberry sauce. It was perfect. I followed Warren Zevon's advice. I also enjoyed a small bag of chips and a Coca Cola.

We didn't purchase much at Fred Meyer, but it was a good stop.

We returned to Kellogg, relaxed (I napped), yakked some about our conversations at Sacred Heart, but mostly we just rested. 

It had been an intense afternoon. 




No comments: