Monday, October 30, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 10-29-2023: Quiet, Beer Tasting, Family Dinner

 1. Quiet. Debbie went to school to get some work done. I relaxed with The NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle. I made one quick trip to Yoke's. I would have welcomed another outing, another fun day with Debbie, but the quiet inactivity today was enjoyable.

2. Debbie returned. She'd volunteered to make the salad for tonight's family dinner. I wanted to try the fresh hopped Fluffy Puffy Sunshine I'd purchased at Ya Ya Brewing on Saturday, so I popped open a can to split with Debbie. I enjoyed this beer, but it didn't work as well for Debbie. I understand why. The fresh hopped version of this beer isn't as soft as the original Fluffy Puffy Sunshine. We have six cans of the fresh hopped Fluffy Puffy Sunshine left and it looks like it'll be up to me to drink them on my own. I'd love to pop open any one or all of these cans and split them with someone, but the fact of the matter is that I don't know anyone well here in Kellogg who enjoys IPAs (West Coast or New England). 

It's no problem -- but, I do enjoy beer sharing sessions and would love to share this beer. 

3. For family dinner tonight, Carol made a robust and deeply flavorful Minestrone soup and Debbie assembled an awesome green salad. Molly brought dinner rolls. To start we ate Carol's appetizer,  ambitious and delicious slices of roasted sourdough bread topped with pear slices and pecorino cheese accented with a balsamic glaze and drank the Aperol Spritz that Paul mixed. Christy baked an Italian Apple Cake, gracing our meal with a light and tasty dessert. 

We also had a guest tonight. Kellogg High School student Sofi Broaddus joined us. Her mother was visiting other daughters back east and Molly has been helping keep her company and brought her to dinner tonight. Sofi is lively -- bubbling really -- and has a lot on her mind. She added spirited monologues and good natured excitement to our dinner. 



No comments: