Thursday, October 19, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 10-18-2023: Memory Lapse at Supercuts, Relaxing and Thinking Ahead at Costco, Peanut Sauce Returns

1. I got the Sube revved up and rocketed to Coeur d'Alene to take care of a couple of things. I got a quick hair trim at Supercuts and kicked myself for not remembering to tell the woman who cut my hair that her mother had helped my mother many years ago by reading/translating a  document (a will?) written in Spanish that my grandfather, who abandoned his family and moved to Mexico about ninety years ago, had drawn up in preparation for his death. I hope she'll be the one who cuts my hair one of the next times I go to Supercuts. I'd like to tell her that story. 

2. I blasted next over to Costco, intending to pick up a few items for Carol and Paul and a couple of things for Debbie and me. But as I leisurely strolled the aisles, I got to thinking about Patrick and Megan coming to visit this coming weekend and about us hosting family dinner on Sunday and I bought more than I'd planned on. So now we have at the ready baguettes, cheeses, a variety of salamis, and a variety of crackers ready to serve whenever we decide to over the weekend. 

3. It struck me as I sauntered up and down the aisles at Costco that when Debbie and I lived in Maryland, I often made meals accompanied by peanut sauce. From time to time, I cooked dinner for us and the Diaz family and Molly, especially, was always happy when I fixed peanut sauce. For some reason, I thought, I haven't made peanut sauce since we moved to Kellogg -- at least I don't remember doing so.

So, this afternoon, I combined peanut butter, coconut milk, yellow curry paste, soy sauce, ginger powder, lime juice, Frank's RedHot Sauce, maple syrup, and rice vinegar in the blender, fired it up, and PRESTO! peanut sauce was back. 

I made a batch of basmati rice. While it cooked, Debbie cut up some boneless chicken thighs and cooked the pieces.

I then made a vegetable stir fry of onion, carrots, red pepper, zucchini, and yellow squash (I forgot the green beans). 

I put rice in two bowls, covered Debbie's with chicken and the stir fried vegetables, mine with vegetables only, topped this with peanut sauce and garnished both bowls with peanuts and cilantro. 

Let me tell you:

It worked! 

And, as a bonus, I cooked enough of this dinner that we can have the same thing again on Thursday! 

No comments: