Friday, October 27, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 10-26-2023: Seeing the Pulmonary Doctor, Breakfast at the Nook, Back to Cooking Dinner Again

1. I pulled the Camry out of the garage around 9:20, thinking I had my wandering mind focused. I didn't knock any mirror casings off. I knew where my keys were. I knew where I was going. I got about half way to Smelterville and realized, however, that I drove off without my phone. I decided I wanted to have it for a handful of reasons, so I exited I 90 at Smelterville, blasted back to Kellogg, found my phone on the kitchen table right where I left it so I'd remember to bring it, and resumed my trip to CdA.

I'm under the supervision of Dr. Forest Jespersen at the Kootenai Lung and Asthma Clinic. We had a solid chat. All signs point to my pulmonary function being stable and, fortunately, Dr. Jespersen's assessment is that fifty years later, the impact of my having inhaled all that sulfur dioxide inside the roaster at the Zinc Plant is mild. 

He is confident that my pulmonary function should not stand in the way of a kidney transplant.

As we talked about the difficulties I had this summer with sunlight and heat and my resultant lack of regular exercise, he thought it would be a good idea for me to start a program of pulmonary rehab at the hospital, to learn different exercises intended to strengthen my lungs and heart. 

I liked that idea. The doctor referred me to the Cardio and Pulmonary Rehab Center and before long I ought to hear from them and move forward with this aspect of my medical care. 

2. I left this satisfying appointment with Dr. Jespersen and beelined straight for The Breakfast Nook. I was not only hungry, but I was Jonesin' pretty seriously for The Nook's hash browns. I ordered a sausage patty, two eggs, hash browns, and sourdough toast and it was all I knew it would be: delicious and satisfying. 

3. These medical appointments (it's the same with dental) wipe me out. Even if the appointments go well, they drain me. I arrived home and before long I stretched out on the sofa and took a refreshing coma nap.

The nap revived me and I was ready to get back to cooking again after taking two nights off.

I cut open one of our HelloFresh bags. Tonight's meal was awesome: Middle Eastern Chickpea Bowls with Spicy Basmati Rice and Garlicky White Sauce. 

I roasted a sheet of onion wedges, grape tomatoes, and drained chickpeas seasoned with HelloFresh's Shawarma Spice Blend, a combination of turmeric, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, paprika, allspice, and pepper. 

The spice blend made the dish. Some of the Shawarma went into the rice along with onion while it cooked and the rest went over the roasted ingredients. It was potent (no heat), full of the flavors of the Middle East I love.

I also loved the cilantro, the white sauce I made of sour cream and minced garlic with a little water, and the hot sauce that topped each bowl.


No comments: