Friday, October 20, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 10-19-2023: Laundry, Margarita Project, Improving Last Night's Stir Fry

1. Exciting? Not really. Part of my retirement plans? Sure to be featured in the AARP magazine? Naw. I got caught up on my laundry today.

2. For family dinner nearly two weeks ago, I made margaritas following a recipe that came with our blender. The drink disappointed me. Tonight, with just about one cocktail worth of tequila in the house, I decided to put some effort into figuring out how to make a margarita that is just the way I like it -- I decided to do this unsure of exactly what "just the way I like it" even is. 

So I emptied the tequila bottle, added the juice of a fresh squeezed orange, the juice of a fresh squeezed lime, and some Cointreau. I put ice cubes in the blender and turned on the machine. I tasted my frozen concoction and realized I prefer less lime (I had already decided not to use lemon juice). So I added more Cointreau to my drink and that improved the balance. My guess is that "just the way I like it" is a more orange-y margarita. Next time I blend one, I'll be sure to have some 7Up or Sprite on hand. I know I really like a margarita topped off with a splash of one of these lemon lime sodas. 

3. I didn't realize when I retired that I would become so involved with cooking. 

For the last ten years, however, that's what I've done.

Tonight Debbie and I ate more of last night's Thai peanut sauce stir fry. 

Before I warmed up what I cooked last night, I cooked the frozen green beans I forgot on Wednesday and I added the juice of another lime to the peanut sauce I'd made. 

Debbie and I agreed.

Tonight's dinner worked -- in fact, it worked even better the second night than the first. 

No comments: