Thursday, December 7, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-06-2023: Intensifying My Workout with Harry Nillson (and Others), Thai(ish) Stir Fry, Lee Harvey Oswald and Deception

1. Over at the rehab gym in CdA, after consultation with Claudia, I increased the speed of my walking on the treadmill, but kept the incline the same. I increased the level of resistance on the hill/sprint program on the recumbent cross trainer. I huffed a bit on the cross trainer and the increased speed on the treadmill made me perspire. It was a great help to me on the treadmill to have "Jump into the Fire" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" come up on my playlist. I'm hoping before long that my playlist shuffle will include Billy Idol's "Many, Mony". It invigorates me. 

2. Tonight's HelloFresh meal was a Thai-ish ground beef and green bean stir fry over jasmine rice. It was very easy to prepare and the soy glaze and sweet chili paste that seasoned this meal made it especially delicious.

3. Wednesday nights in our household means one thing these days: a new episode of the podcast, Who Killed JFK? Tonight's episode continued last week's dig into the life of Lee Harvey Oswald. Both episodes argue that Oswald had primary and secondary connections with the CIA. The CIA referred to its means of deception and disinformation as a "wilderness of mirrors" and tonight's episode looks at how, according to Rob Reiner, the CIA was in the process of developing a story that was not necessarily true about Oswald as a Communist and Castro sympathizer. Debbie and I also learned about the practice of "sheep dipping". That's when a military or intelligence asset is given civilian status to continue to work on behalf of, say the CIA, in ways that can't be traced back. We plan to listen again to these episodes on Oswald. They involve a lot of discussion of operatives whose names are unfamiliar to Debbie and me and describe a good amount of double dealing, of Oswald as a player in a CIA driven theater performance, making it difficult to know whether what he did before JFK's assassination was real or a performance meant to deceive. 

No comments: