Saturday, December 23, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-22-2023: Christy's Most Encouraging Recovery, Yakkin' at The Lounge, Eggplant and JFK

1. Christy's recovery from knee replacement surgery continues apace. She had a good session at physical therapy today. She learned that she can walk around the house without her cane, but to have the cane handy. Today Christy returned to her house to live and Carol brought the last of her things to the house and Riley also moved back in. 

I burned some calories at the Fitness Center while Christy was doing physical therapy and I also had a good session of exercise.

2. Ed called and we met at The Lounge around 4:30 or so. When I arrived, Debbie was already there and we yakked for a while. Ed arrived and I sipped on a shot of 1910 Pendleton Rye Whiskey along with a Rainier beer. Ed and I yakked until his take out order arrived from Wah Hing. Harley updated us on the upcoming Elks Crab Feed.  Rob Gilles came up to the bar, sat next to me, and we yakked. He showed me pictures of his brother, Rick -- Rick and I were teammates on the 1970 Kellogg-Wallace Miners American Legion baseball team. I'd heard Rick lived in California and ran a garden center/landscaping business and Rob confirmed that this was true. Rob and I also got in some high quality discussion of the Pittsburgh Pirates, especially their awesome teams back in the 1970s.

3. Back home, Debbie and I teamed up to fix a dinner of salmon burger patties, rice, and roasted eggplant. Debbie prepared the eggplant and I thought immediately of Michael Franks whose "baby cooks her eggplant/About 19 different ways". Then we listened to more of the podcast, Who Killed JFK?, but I was having trouble concentrating, trouble keeping all the unfamiliar names and stories straight, so I'll go back and listen again when I'm rested and not about to hit the hay for the night.  

No comments: