Friday, December 15, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-14-2023: Goodby to Luna, Christy is Discharged, Flavorful Chickpea Dinner

 1. First thing this morning, I said goodby to Luna. I drove her to the vet's office, requested cremation, and bought an urn so that I'll have her ashes with me, along with Snug's. 

2. Christy thought she might get discharged some time after 10:00. I arrived at the hospital around 10:30. Christy was doing pretty well. She's moving about as well as can be expected, which is good. She needs to monitor her oxygen levels and take some steps at home to keep a good supply of oxygen going into her blood. Around 12:30 or so, a discharge nurse came in and went over Christy's discharge papers and her instructions for what to do at home. 

We left the hospital around 1:00 and Christy immediately requested a stop at Starbucks so she could treat herself to a grande Peppermint Mocha. Her spirits were already in pretty good shape, but the coffee drink lifted them even more! 

We arrived at Carol's. Christy had no problem, really, getting out of the car and going into Paul and Carol's house. Without a doubt, the weeks of physical therapy Christy has put in to prepare for this surgery helped her immeasurably. She strengthened her legs so that she can push off the leg that was not operated on. Her core is stronger than it was. Her hard work is paying off. She returns to physical therapy on Monday to begin working on her new knee.

I had a couple more things to do for Christy: pick up her prescriptions and purchase her an oximeter.

I completed those errands. 

Now Christy's under the care of Carol and Paul -- and she's back with Riley! 

3. Back home, I took out our second HelloFresh bag. Debbie had to be at work until around 7 o'clock, so I timed it so that dinner was ready when she walked in the door. Tonight's meal was among my favorites -- I tend to really enjoy the HelloFresh dinners that feature chickpeas.

Tonight's was called Apricot, Almond, and Chickpea Tagine with Zucchini, Basmati Rice, and Chermoula. 

It was a delicious blend of chickpeas, zucchini, apricot, almonds, cilantro, various spices, and some heat, topped off with a refreshing sour cream and yogurt (my addition) sauce. 


No comments: