Sunday, December 10, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-09-2023: A Great Boring Routine, Caring for Luna, Dinner Tidies Up the Kitchen

 1. Yes, I know. My blog posts, however brief, about working out are repetitious and boring. At the same time, it's been a great change for me and the boring routine of it is what makes it work. I followed this routine again today. I did aerobic exercise for an hour, realized as I left the Fitness Center that I'd left my keys in the basket on the counter, and, thank goodness, the volunteer locking the center up hadn't quite left the building yet when I rapped on the door. He let me in and I quickly grabbed my keys, got out of his hair, and blasted back to Kellogg.

2. Over the last few weeks, I've been keeping close eye on Luna. She's been losing weight. She has not been eating wet food when I put it down. I'm not sure she's eating dry food out of the feeder.  She spends a lot of time lying on a pillow on the bed. 

Today, I began to think of my care for Luna as hospice care. I might be wrong, but I think she's reaching the end of her life. 

This evening, in the bedroom, struggling to walk, she signaled to me that she wanted to be in the living room.

Debbie leashed up Gibbs so he wouldn't hassle her and Luna came out, lay on the floor a bit and then wanted to assume the place she has liked ever since she came into my life, sitting next to me in the chair I sit in a lot. Luna isn't purring. She's always purred. She seemed content in the living room, but frail. Gibbs completely left her alone, as if he could sense her fragility. 

Later, after Debbie and Gibbs went to bed, Luna wandered out into the kitchen. After a while, I checked on her. I was startled when I could hear her weak meow coming from the bottom of the basement stairs. 

Weak hind legs and all, Luna had made her way to the basement and now she wanted back upstairs. 

I carried her back up the stairs and before long we went to bed.

At some point in the night, Luna got off the bed and drank some water.

She was unable, however, to catapult herself back onto the bed. I helped her. She lay beside me and we both rested peacefully for the rest of the night. 

We'll see what Sunday brings. 

3. Debbie wanted to use up some bits and pieces of food we had in the kitchen and made a pan of roasted chicken pieces, baby Yukon golds, and chunks of onion. She also sliced a cucumber with green onion, dressed it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and so not only did we have a simple delicious dinner, Debbie also tidied up the kitchen. 

No comments: