Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-19-2023: Exercising with The Who, Good Vibes (Mostly) at Costco, Copper and I Enjoy Each Other

 1. I increased the intensity on one of the machines at the rehab gym in CdA.  With the help of The Who and Who's Next, I rocked my way through twenty minutes of more demanding exercise, worked with the hand weights, and then walked up and down hills on the treadmill. I got off to a slightly late start at the gym so I had to cut my treadmill session down by five minutes, but, as I left the gym, I could feel the benefits of my exercise today.

2. Carol asked me to run a couple of errands for me so I blasted over to Total Wine in Spokane Valley and picked up an order Carol had made online (potables for our international Christmas dinner of the 26th) and then I soared back to CdA and shopped for Carol at Costco. It was fun. Shoppers were out in full force and  I only encountered one grinchy shopper who groused to her husband about all "the frickin' people in the store". It was the second time I encountered this couple and both times I overheard this shopper complaining to her husband about something. Otherwise, I exchanged smiles with several people, especially as we good naturedly worked out with nods and hand signals who should go ahead or come on through in small shopping cart jams here and there. I enjoyed helping out Carol and the overall positive vibes in Costco were a bonus. 

3. Back home, Debbie and I decided to have leftovers for dinner. I sautéed the eggplant, tofu, and white onion I didn't use Sunday night, added it to the leftover panang curry sauce and rice from Sunday night and we agreed this curry tasted even better the second day than the first. 

I spent a pretty good chunk of time after dinner on the bed with Copper. In the nearly three years Copper has lived in our home, I've always thought he was the more sensitive cat to being alone, to not being able to come out to the living room with Gibbs. I never could tell if Copper found much solace in hanging out with Luna. Their relationship always seemed cool and Luna intimidated Copper. So, here's the deal: Copper will get close enough to me that I can reach him and pet him and rest my hand on his back. He always stays about three quarters of an arm length below me. Occasionally, he'll rest himself against my hip or thigh, but he never rests himself near my chest, neck, or head. He wants me to touch him and his skin quivers with pleasure when I do and he purrs, but he's careful to keep a certain distance. 

Similarly, after Debbie and Gibbs go to bed and Copper joins me in the living room, he wants to lie down near me, but not close to me and he's only very very rarely joined me in my chair or only very very rarely sat on my lap. When we are near each other, he is content and relaxed, and during the time I was with him this evening in the bedroom, the tension in his body dissipated and he fell into a satisfied sleep.  

No comments: