Thursday, December 21, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-20-2023: Eggplant and Romantic Adventures, Donating Luna's Kidney Care Food, Flautas for Dinner

1. While Christy had another successful physical therapy session (she can move back to her house now), I worked out in the Fitness Center while listening to a jazz mix of songs chosen by Spotify, based on jazz I've listened to since signing up with Spotify. 

The music didn't fire me up, say, the way the Talking Heads do, but this music gave me pleasure while I worked out. In particular, the mix included Michael Franks' very sexy song, "Eggplant". 

I started cooking quite a bit of eggplant about ten years ago or so, but, until about a month ago, I hadn't listened to Michael Franks' song for decades. Hearing "Eggplant" again now and enjoying again the way Michael Franks turns cooking eggplant into a metaphor for erotic pleasure ("And my baby cooks her eggplant/About 19 different ways" "The lady sticks to me like white on rice./She never cooks the same way twice"), I smiled widely on the aerobic machines, nearly giggled with delight, and I couldn't help but wonder if my love for eggplant (and cooking) hasn't been enhanced over the years by the way Michael Franks connects food and cooking to romantic adventure. 

2. I didn't quite get a full workout completed this morning, so I went back to the Fitness Center in the afternoon and worked out for another half an hour. Before I drove to the gym, though, I gathered up a partial case of kidney care wet cat food and a nearly full bag of kidney care dry food and took them to Kellogg Pet Medical Center. Luna was on a kidney care diet. Copper joined in, but not because he had to, but because they ate out of the same feeder and it was simpler to feed them both the same wet food.

Now Copper can enjoy more variety in the wet food I feed him and will be able to eat different kinds of premium dry cat food. 

I don't know if this really matters to Copper, but I like to act as if it does! 

3. I had fun fixing Debbie and me Black Bean and Green Pepper Flautas for dinner tonight. All I had to do was cook up some thinly sliced onion and finely chopped green pepper, add half a can of black beans to it, and heat up and mash another half a can of black beans in a small pot. I set out flour tortillas, put the mashed beans on each of them, topped the beans with the onion/green pepper/black bean mix (seasoned with Southwest Spice Blend), added grated pepper jack cheese, folded the tortillas, and heated both sides of the folded tortilla until they were browned. I garnished the flautas with sour cream, guacamole, and Pico de Gallo. 

It worked! 

No comments: