Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Three Beautiful Things 12-26-2023: Burning Calories, Basque Christmas Dinner, A Gift of Heidelberg Beer!

1. The Fitness Center wasn't open on Dec. 24th and 25th and I was eager to get out there today.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that I made up for two missed days in a single session today, but I did exercise for 70 minutes and burned as many calories as I could in anticipation of this afternoon's big dinner.

2. The big dinner was our family's Christmas dinner this afternoon and once again this year we prepared and ate the food of another country or another culture. This year, we joined forces to create a Basque dinner, a generous combination of garlic soup, meatballs, grilled shrimp, chickpea salad, Spanish rice, a Basque white wine, and toasted pudding for dessert -- this grand meal started off with Basque appetizers and a Basque cocktail. It was an intense meal combining varied flavors and textures -- and, to top it off, it was delicious. 

3. Over the summer, Molly's pal Brian enjoyed a few cans of my now depleted stash of Heidelberg beer. Recently, a friend of Brian's traveled to the Tacoma area and Brian asked him, unbeknownst to me, to pick him up a few four packs of Heidelberg at the 7 Seas Brewery in Tacoma. The friend did just that and to my utter surprise, Brian showed up at today's Basque dinner with two cans of Heidelberg as gifts for me, one for Christmas and one for my birthday. I haven't decided when I'll crack them open and enjoy them, but it will be a rare pleasure! 

No comments: