Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 05-09-2024: Ah! J. J. Cale!, Fixing Ramen, Copper Enjoys Bonus Time in the Living Room

 1. Over the last, oh, five years or so, I've become increasingly enthralled with J. J. Cale. I always knew he wrote songs like "Cocaine" and "After Midnight", songs Eric Clapton covered. I also knew he wrote "The Breeze", a song Lynyrd Skynyrd made popular. Back in about 2019, out of the blue, I purchased J. J. Cale's double CD entitled, Anyway the Wind Blows: The Anthology. I started playing it a lot on in the Sube, especially on a few road trips, and one by one its songs got inside me, seriously grew on me, and I found YouTube videos of him performing, whether solo, with one of his bands, and with Leon Russell or Eric Clapton among others. I was hooked. 

Today I dialed up J. J. Cale's anthology album while I exercised my legs and arms and wind at the Fitness Center. 

I hardly noticed my muscles getting tired or the rate of my breathing increasing. 

J. J. Cale enthralled me. 

2. I had a blast cooking a new, for us, HelloFresh meal tonight. All I had to do was boil and drain Chinese noodles, run cold water over them, make a delicious broth, and sauté some mushrooms and cover them in soy sauce. Combined, the broth, mushrooms, and noodles formed a deeply delicious bowl of ramen. 

It worked! 

3. Debbie arrived home from school exhausted, much more tired than usual. The long phone call she had last night in addition to a challenging day in the classroom wiped her out. She and Gibbs went upstairs to bed much earlier than usual.

That meant Copper got to spend more time than usual in the living room and kitchen.

He wandered around a bit, hopped into a plastic box that's on the floor, and meowed at me some. Soon he relaxed, curled up on the rug not far from where I sit in the evenings, and was content. I put wet food in his bowl in the kitchen for him. He nibbled at it and returned to the rug. 

When I gathered myself and cleaned up to go to bed, Copper didn't immediately follow me into the bedroom the way he usually does.

He stayed in the living room longer. 

He didn't want this evening of bonus time in the living room to end. 


No comments: