Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Three Beautiful Things 05-20-2024: The Decision to Stay in Kellogg, Christy Drives Me to Spokane, I Cook Dinner

1. In order to enroll in the transplant program at Providence Sacred Heart in Spokane, I not only was exhaustively tested to assess my fitness for a transplant, I (often along with Debbie) met with transplant team members for educational sessions, always with the opportunity to ask questions. 

One of the most important points in these sessions was the program's mandate that I be close to the transplant clinic and hospital in the weeks (the number to be determined) following the surgery. 

In the immediate aftermath of the surgery, once discharged from the hospital, I would be required to report at least twice a week for lab work and for visits to the clinic after one or both of those lab draws. If need be, I was told, I could be told to come in more often than that.

The question for Debbie and me and for the transplant team was whether Debbie and I would stay in Spokane or would we commute from Kellogg. Kellogg's distance from Sacred Heart is right on the cusp of how far away they want transplant patients to stay after the surgery.

Debbie and I, for the last five and a half years, assumed that after surgery I would be in no shape to be traveling between Spokane and Kellogg. We assumed we'd be staying in a h/motel or a house in Spokane.

But, then, I came out of the surgery feeling pretty strong. 

I was awake most hours of the day. I gained mobility before long. I was alert. My stamina was good.

Debbie and I agreed: let's give staying in Kellogg a try and if it turns out to be a bad idea, we'll temporarily move to Spokane. 

Last Thursday tested our decision. 

I had to be at the Outpatient Health Center at 7:30 for labs and then, starting at 8:30, we'd have two or three hours of meetings with members of the transplant team.

Would I hold up? Would the drive to Spokane be too much? Would I be tired and have difficulty focusing during the meeting with team members?

I had no problem with any of it.

Staying in Kellogg works. 

I haven't had any complications requiring me to return to the hospital (knock on wood). 

Debbie hasn't missed much work and I've been fine for the hours I've been home alone. I can tend to my medical routines. I can cook. I can take care of myself. 

This is working out really well.

2. Now, the one thing I cannot do and won't be able to for at least another month, is drive a car.

Therefore, I am dependent on Debbie or Christy for transportation to Spokane for my labs and for visiting the clinic.

This morning, Christy swung by at 6:00. 

She drove me to the Outpatient Health Center and parked right across the way. Christy didn't have to accompany me to my blood draw, and, even better, didn't have to use the cramped, dingy, confusing parking garage! 

We were back on the road shortly after 8:00 and in Kellogg not long after 9:00.

I saw the results of these labs shortly after arriving home and they look good.

The one result that isn't in yet concerns the level of one of my medications in my blood. Nurse Jenn called me late in the afternoon and said that result got delayed. We should have it Tuesday morning and she'll call me again and let me know if I need to adjust the dosage of this medication. 

3. I thoroughly enjoy cooking dinner for me and Debbie, especially when she's working. It's uplifting that for me to cook is no problem. My energy in the kitchen is strong. 

So, tonight, I fixed a HelloFresh corn chowder accompanied by a small baguette sliced in half, buttered with an Old Bay and butter mix, and toasted in the oven. 

It was a solid meal and I was very happy that I easily felt strong enough to prepare it for us. 

No comments: