Friday, February 19, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 02/18/10: Elizabeth of Kaliningrad, Prose Style, Freedom

1. Today I took some time to explore and learn more about Kaliningrad, the Russian city that is Elizabeth's home. Elizabeth is one of my WR 122 students. Whenever a Russian student, or a student of the former Soviet Union, enrolls in a course of mine, it always takes me back to how mysterious Russia/the Soviet Union was to me as a kid at the height of the Cold War and how fascinated I was to see actual Soviets in 1974 at Spokane's Expo 74 and how fascinated I was, that same year, to watch the Soviet national basketball team play a USA national team. I kept staring at them, marveling that in appearance and manner they, OMG, seemed human. I don't stare at Elizabeth. I don't marvel that she is human. I was deeply affected as a boy and a young man, obviously, by Cold War propaganda. I relish the way my mindset has changed.

2. I can't tell if it has any short term impact. I'm trying to teach to the long term, beyond WR 122 as I explore the elements of prose style with my students. It invigorates me. I might be alone.

3. I can't tell if it has any short term impact. I'm trying to teach to the long term, beyond WR 122 as I explore intellectual freedom and copious thinking with my students. It invigorates me. I might be alone.

No comments: