Thursday, October 25, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 10/25/07: Universal, Sharper, Crickets

1. I love working with my 1o o'clock WR 121 class and today we dove into that crucial move in thinking more deeply and writing more meaningfully by seeing the universal in the personal. I think they are understanding.

2. I love working with my evening WR 121 class and tonight we looked a handful of student essay ideas that were only partially formed and saw the kinds of questions that would deepen these essays and move them toward sharper focus and deeper thinking. It was electric.

3. The Deke is student teaching this quarter and once again tonight we talked about our respective days in the classroom and it's really fun having our work days have so much in common. The Deke did something with her 4th and 5th graders that I haven't done yet with my college students: she led them in a cricket chirping verson of "The Blue Danube Waltz".

2 comments:

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I'd like to hear that. . .children as crickets doing "The Blue Danube Waltz" -

I'll bet the college students would enjoy giving it a whirl. . .

A. said...

Commenting because I'm always dismayed when people prowl silently around my blog, tentatively because I'm no writer. I just wanted to say that I wish I could find a teacher like you to guide me in my efforts to sound less like a scientist and more like a human:)