Thursday, October 11, 2007

Three Beautiful Things: 10/10/07: Context, Contact, Reconnect

1. It's a challenge to put Tim O'Brien's book of Vietnam stories, "The Things They Carried" into a historical context, but I bravely tried to this morning and got some good help from my peer, Bill, a student in WR 121 who is my age.

2. I hadn't been in contact with my friend Scott Dalgarno for about twelve years and he is filling the pulpit at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Eugene for the next three months. We are having coffee on Firday. What a surprise. What a pleasure.

3. It was fun to dip back into some Walt Whitman so I could write my latest sibling assignment (here). I shouldn't get as far away from Whitman as I let myself get over the last six months.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

For years The Things They Carried has been on my list of books to read. I must read it and revisit the Viet Nam War. I have a group of students in a "struggling reading" class that are on fire right now learning about Asia. They has lots of questions about Viet Nam. Right now we are learning more about climbing Mt. Everest.