Monday, October 29, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 10/28/07: Dad, World Series, Shelby

1. Were he alive, my dad would be seventy-seven years old today. I thought about how he coached our Little League team. He was devoted to the fundamentals: hitting the cut off man, having good footwork around second base on a double play, moving a runner from first to second with a sacrifice bunt. He was the only Little League coach I knew of in Kellogg who had chalk talks. He lectured on these fundamental indoors, at a chalkboard. It worked. We had a damn good team.

2. I wanted to see the Colorado Rockies win the World Series. I rooted for them. But, I can't imagine ever feeling ill will toward the Boston Red Sox. I deeply admire this year's champion Red Sox. They have solid hitters up and down their lineup, came up with timely hits, featured excellent starting pitching supported by a gritty bullpen. I don't think the Rockies had a prayer.

3. InlandEmpireGirl reported that her dog Shelby is recovering heartily from having to have a gash sewn up. She went on a road trip today and, although she wasn't her usual lively self, she seemed to enjoy the outing and it might have given her spirits a boost.

No comments: