Saturday, October 27, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 10/26/07: Ranching, Mining, Taking Over

1. I've returned to the wonderful story of Dan O'Brien getting bit by the buffalo ranching bug in his thoughtful and poetic memoir "Buffalo for the Broken Heart."

2. Jo and I had an email exchange which opened my eyes to the fact of coal and lead mining in Missouri, a mining state I had never thought of before.

3. Discussion in WR 121 turned toward the riveting reality of class members who never really knew their childhoods or adolescence because they had to assume the adult responsibilities of absent or overworked or addicted parents.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I have only had one cup of coffee this morning, but I had to do a google search on Dan O'Brien, because I didn't remember that the University of Idaho/Olympic athelete was also an author of memoir. Ahhh... another Dan O'Brien. The book sounds like a good read.