Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 01/13/13: Nicene Creed, Back to the Electric Fry Pan, YouTube Laughs

1.  I have my own ways of reconciling my understanding of spiritual realities in the world with the whole of the Nicene Creed.  Therefore, during the Nicene Creed exercise when we were asked to sit when the creed stated something we were uncomfortable with or doubted or struggled with, I never sat.  I'm comfortable with how I have come to understand the creed, even if my understanding differs from traditional ways of understanding it.  A key to my understanding?  The hugeness, the breadth, the aliveness and the dynamic life of the words"one" and "catholic" and "resurrection".  Likewise, to my way of thinking, metaphor is the basis of most of my understanding of everything.  You will never hear me say something is "just a metaphor", as if a metaphor is an inferior means of knowing. 

2.  I got a couple of yams going in the electric fry pan with some onions and a pound of ground beef and put in some mushrooms and corn and sweet red pepper and sprinkled some grated cheese on top just before serving and, lo and behold, the Deke and I had a tasty dinner and lunches ready for Monday.

3.  I ended the day on YouTube watching clips from old Dean Martin roasts featuring the work of Don Rickles, Charlie Callas, and Paul Lynde -- and I watched some old Tonight show clips with Johnny Carson, David Brenner, Frank Sinatra, and Don Rickles.  I watched Don Rickles roast Don Adams on the occasion of Adams' seventy-fifth birthday.  It all got started when I watched a half hour interview with David Steinberg and looked at him as the psychiatrist in a riotously funny bit with Joe Flaherty.  I was in a very good mood when I went to sleep.

No comments: