Sunday, December 2, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/01/18: Christy's Improvement, A Pint at Slate Creek, Tangy Potato Soup

1. I had one of those mornings where I was slow to get around, but, in time, I walked up to the Shoshone Medical Center and retrieved Christy's vehicle and drove it back to her house. After dillying here, dallying there, forgetting this, remembering that, and shaking the cobwebs out of my head, I drove to Coeur d'Alene and visited Christy.

I picked her up a cafe au lait at Starbucks. When I arrived in her room, she looked at home. She was out of bed, sitting in a comfortable chair with her feet up. Thanks to the staff providing her with a special cushion, she could sit comfortably. She was happy not to be lying in bed for the first time in several days. Christy was watching the Zags play (and win!) and before long Teresa and Ann paid her a visit and Christy was in high spirits, telling stories and laughing with Teresa and Ann. I stayed until around two o'clock and left thinking that Christy's recovery was moving in the right direction and wondering how long it will be before she comes home to finish her recovery.

2. When I left, I gave myself time to stop in at Slate Creek Brewing for one beer and some peanuts, knowing I had enough time to enjoy one pint and drive back to Kellogg in daylight. I enjoyed the Brick and Steel IPA from Iron Goat Brewing and things at Slate Creek were just the way I like them: I was one of five or six older patrons and the conversations were quiet and a friendly dog jazzed up the place a bit. I invited Byrdman to join me, but he had company, so possibly I'll be able to stop in again on Sunday and maybe we can get together. We'll see.

3. Back home, I hit the wall. I walked in the door, turned up the furnace a degree, went straight to the bedroom, put on my sleep wear, hoisted the corgis on the bed, and took a deep nap.

I was hungry for soup and I made a potato soup augmented with mushrooms, celery, and carrots. I decided to make the soup tangy and, along with milk, I added sour cream and yogurt to the broth. It was just what I wanted to warm me up and comfort me.

I watched about half of a PBS American Masters piece on the illusionist Ricky Jay and decided I'd finish it another time. I called it a night.

No comments: