Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/17/18: Imprecise Christy Update, Clean Up and Stock Inventory, High Level Poker Thinking

1. Christy update: Christy had an appointment with her primary care provider here in Kellogg today. Linda Jo Yawn did not like what she saw when she examined Christy's wound and infection and thought it best if Christy see the doctor she's been working with in Coeur d'Alene today. Christy has an appointment scheduled with that doctor on Wednesday. The doctor's nurse called Christy today and said she didn't need to come to CdA today and that the doctor would see her as scheduled on Wednesday. The nurse gave Christy some instructions about treating the wound at home. Christy has been using an antibiotic cream and the doctor told her to use it more often.

Christy's nights have been especially uncomfortable. We are hoping the increase in medicine helps as well as the latest instructions the nurse gave her.

This has been a tough string of days for Christy.

2. I finished cleaning up the kitchen. I'd done my best to clean up as I cooked family dinner on Sunday, so my work today was fairly light. I also decided the turkey stock that I got going in the crock pot over the weekend had bubbled away long enough and put it in containers and labeled them. My stock collection is in pretty good shape. I have several containers of pork stock, a few remaining containers of crab stock, and containers of turkey and chicken stock ready to go in the freezer. I also have a modest collection of bones in the freezer to make more stock with.

3. I think Monday night is poker night on NBCSN. This evening I watched the replay of event #7 of September's 2018 Poker Masters tournament. Players had been competing for a week for the tournament's purple jacket (is it a coveted purple jacket? I'm not sure!) and for a ton of money. I won't divulge who won this event nor who won the purple jacket in case you happen to tune into this coverage. But, in watching it, I tried to keep up with the analysis of Ali Nejad and Nick Schulman and their discussion of the action was way over my head, way beyond my understanding of how these elite players think. This was fine with me. I kept listening and tried to at least commit their terminology to memory so I could look into it later -- and that's what I did.

I don't have a great mind for this sort of thing, but I am going to keep reading about opponents' ranges and other things that I don't understand. I listened to a short video of Daniel Negreanu in which he introduces high level poker thinking. The concepts he discussed make sense, but I wouldn't be able to apply them if I were playing poker unless I took about 15 minutes to make each decision at a table! I enjoy learning about these things, but I'm doubtful that I will ever develop a quick analytical poker mind. And that's fine. I will become a more learned observer of poker on television and that's good. 

No comments: