Thursday, December 6, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/05/18: My Medical Life, Southern Cabbage, DVDs and the Zags Win

1. I called the Idaho Lung and Asthma Center in CdA and learned that the order from Sacred Heart for me to be examined arrived. I should hear from a scheduler next week. Right now, it looks like everything else that Sacred Heart is requiring before their committee makes a decision about whether to list me for a kidney transplant is done. If my lungs, damaged as they were by the SO2 and zinc and cadmium dust I inhaled when I was injured in 1973, are up to snuff, I should be on my way to being listed at Sacred Heart.

I see nephrologist Dr. Kristie Jones on December 12th, so I got to see the world's finest phlebotomist, Tracy, again today at the clinic uptown and have three vials of blood drawn and I gave a urine sample. I'll see Tracy again on the December 12th when I have my monthly blood sample drawn to send to the U of Md in Baltimore.

2. I wanted to be sure to use a head of cabbage I had on hand and found a Southern Cabbage recipe that is simple and looked tasty. The recipe called for chicken broth. I don't have any on hand. I dug around in the freezer a bit and found a container of turkey broth I'd forgotten about and used it. The recipe didn't ask much of me: I cut up the cabbage, poured it over chopped onion and minced garlic sauteed in olive oil and butter, seasoned it with salt, pepper, and Johnny's Seasoning Salt, poured in a couple of cups of turkey broth, brought it to a boil, turned down the heat, and let the cabbage simmer, covered. The more tender the cabbage became, the better it tasted and I have a nice side dish stored and will figure out something to cook up to go with it.

3. After some diligent searching, I found used copies of three DVDs of short films I wanted to own again. Two of the collections are short documentaries and the other includes a short film entitled, "Family Tree". I used to show "Family Tree" to my writing students. I've missed having these short films around and was happy I found them.

After my shopping spree, I went over to Christy and Everett's and watched the Zags defeat the Huskies on a last second tie breaking jump shot by Rui Hachimura. I had watched the Huskies play last week and I thought they might give the Zags a stern test because they are a stingy defensive team and have a few pretty good scorers. Tonight, the Huskies never gave up. Behind much of the game, they kept making plays on defense, found a hot hand in guard Jaylen Nowell, and tied this game with under ten seconds left to play -- and did so with their stellar forward Noah Dickerson on the bench with five fouls.

Tonight Gonzaga faced what they will face game after game after game. Opponents are going to be extra motivated to play hard, sometimes play better than they ever have, because Gonzaga is not only the top-ranked team in the nation, but is, year after year, one of the USA's elite programs.

So, tonight, the Huskies dug in and kept coming back. Even though they were behind by eleven points with about five minute to go in the game, the Huskies persisted, played their hearts out, and Gonzaga once again had figure out how to defeat a team whose confidence grew in the game's last minutes, who believed they could, and nearly did, upset Gonzaga.

I know I'll hear some Gonzaga fans grumble about the Zags nearly blowing this one. There's truth in that grumble. The Zags had an off game. But, I am slow to be too negative about Gonzaga's team. I came away from the game, not so much grumbling about the Zags, but thinking, man, these Dawgs have a lot of fight in them and I sure hope the powers that be never let the Huskies/Zags rivalry disappear from the schedule again.


No comments: