Saturday, December 22, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/21/18: Another CdA Trip, Zags Paste Denver, The Deke's Birthday and Travel Plans

1. It was starting to feel like to good old days in last months of 1972, when I lived at home and went to school at North Idaho College in CdA and commuted each day. Today, I drove to CdA for the third straight day. Byrdman had wondered if I might like to come over for some lunch and some serious yakkin', and I liked that idea a lot. After shopping at Pilgrim's Market for Christy, I went over to Byrdman's house and we buzzed out to Paragon Brewing on Government Way. Not long after we arrived, Ed joined us for a while. Ed's sister had her aorta replaced on Wednesday and Ed reported that she was doing much better today -- she was out of bed and sitting in a chair for the first time. He was much more relaxed about her condition around noon than he had been at breakfast this morning.

Paragon is a cozy taphouse that serves excellent bar food. I was happy to see Ninkasi's Total Domination on tap and ordered a pint, allowing me to take an imaginary trip to Eugene, and I ordered superb beef tenderloin sliders for my lunch.

Byrdman and I then bellied up to the bar at one of our favorite spots, Slate Creek Brewing, and I had a half a glass of Slate's stout. Byrdman and I continued our verbal tour of basketball, family matters, and the state of our nation and enjoyed some fine conversation with Jessica, Slate's very knowledgeable and personable bartender.

2. Back home, I delivered Christy's groceries and a couple hours later went over to watch Gonzaga play Denver with Everett and her. The Zags were on fire. They hit their first fifteen shots to open the game. Denver didn't score until the game was just over six minutes old. Gonzaga opened up a daunting 56-19 lead at half time and ended up crushing Denver 101-40.  I'd left the corgis alone for about four hours or so while I was in CdA and, early in the second half, I bade Christy and Everett good night and, instead of watching the rest of the Zag blow out, I returned home to spend time with Maggie and Charly. In their own corgy way, they appreciated my return.

3. Earlier in the day, the Deke sent Christy, Carol, and me an email outlining her plans for the next ten days. Today was the Deke's birthday and the last day of school before the winter break. For her birthday, she got together with people at the Tradewinds Cafe -- I knew it as Jiffy Mart when I lived in Eugene. Later, some people came over to Anne's house, where the Deke is living, for a birthday chili dinner.

The Deke will return to Kellogg on Sunday, accompanied by Patrick, and they will head back to Oregon on 12/30.

No comments: