Friday, December 21, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/20/18: Private Eccentric Pleasure of Costco, Probiotic Shopping, Addictive Television

1. I made a quick get ready for Christmas Eve trip to Coeur d'Alene this morning. I started by getting my hair cut at Supercuts. Afterward, I I waded into Costco and marveled at all the people and the merchandise. All I wanted to buy was a large pack of tilapia and another of frozen shrimp for the soup I'll bring to Christmas Eve dinner, but I stretched out my visit, did some aimless walking around and gawking, and enjoyed the atmosphere. I thought back to when I used to shop at the Beltsville Costco in Maryland and how much I enjoyed being in the company of people from all over the world, from every continent it seemed, and how I often stretched out my visits just so I could listen to the sound of so many different languages being spoken, and, on Sundays, admire the variety of colorful ways people were dressed up for church. It's a very different scene at the Coeur d'Alene Costco and it's good -- good enough that I strolled around smiling and enjoyed nodding and saying hello to any number of people I didn't know.

2. Things were quieter at Pilgrim's Market. I dropped in to buy a couple of containers of tofu. I also did some probiotic shopping for Christy, picking up kefir, Nancy's yogurt, and a carton of probiotic blueberry juice to help her keep good bacteria in her system while she fights of infection with antibiotics.

3. Back in Kellogg, I put the fish I bought at Costco right into the refrigerator and freezer and I went to Yoke's and bought the rest of what I need to make the Christmas Eve soup. I returned home and poured myself a hot buttered rum that was just that. No batter. Just rum, boiling water, and a chunk of butter. It was comforting, relaxing, and, on this rainy December day, warming. Christy came over to collect the products I bought in CdA and she seemed to be doing pretty well. She'd had a decent night's sleep and an enjoyable lunch out with Teresa. She has improved noticeably since Monday when we nearly made an unscheduled trip to CdA to see the surgeon in charge of her wound.

I wound up my evening watching two sort of addictive shows for me: Forensic Files on HLN and the NBA channel's Hardwood Classics. This show replays entire NBA games from the past. The other night I tuned in to see the last forty minutes or so of the Nuggets and Pistons playing a triple overtime game back in 1983 that ended up with the astonishing score of 186-184, the most points ever scored in an NBA game. Tonight I watched parts of two different games featuring high scoring performances by Michael Jordan after he returned to the NBA in 1995, ending a sabbatical he took to play professional baseball.

No comments: