Sunday, December 23, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/22/18: *The Theory of Everything*, Reliving Our Parents in the Kitchen, December Madness in Tempe

1. I watched the first hour or so of the movie, The Theory of Everything. I might have a few things to say after I've finished watching the movie. So far, though, I've been deeply impressed with how Eddie Redmayne's portrayal of Stephen Hawking's enduring inner life, his intelligence and spirit -- and his arrogance -- is at least equal to his portrayal of Hawking's physical deterioration.

2. I turned off the movie after about an hour to join Christy and Carol at the Roberts' house to provide moral support as Carol whipped up a batch of Tom and Jerry batter and then we each enjoyed having a Tom and Jerry. Paul, Molly, Zoe, Cosette, Taylor, and Sapphire were also in and out of the house. While my sisters and I were reliving my father's making of the Tom and Jerry batter, my nieces were re-enacting my mother's annual making of Nuts and Bolts -- a snack we started having at Christmas time around 1963 or 64 when Grandma Woolum introduced them to all of us. You might know Nuts and Bolts as Chex Mix. The recipe we use didn't come from a Chex box, though, but from Grandma Woolum. Mom copied it out and her copy survives and guided today's efforts. We had the pleasure of eating warm Nuts and Bolts today, straight out of the oven. It was a fun early afternoon.

3. Back home, I could have watched the rest of The Theory of Everything, but I wanted to watch at least parts of a couple of undefeated college teams play basketball and see if they could keep their unblemished record. St. John's did by defeating Sacred Heart easily. Kansas, however, was not as fortunate and lost a very tight game to Arizona State, 80-76, succumbing to a frenzied Arizona State comeback and to Arizona State's maniacal and deafening home crowd.

No comments: