Thursday, December 27, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/26/18: Sube II Check Up, Prime Rib Purchase, Quietness and Mourning the Faracas

1. Sube II was still some miles short of needing an oil change, but the Deke will be leaving Sunday and we wanted to get the car serviced and checked out ahead of time. I'm glad we did. I hadn't realized (or remembered) that the rear brakes were worn out and they definitely need replacing. The guys at Silver Valley Tires tightened the power steering belt and cleared the check engine code.  I take the car back in on Friday and after a couple of hours, Sube II will have practically new brakes in the front and new ones in the back.

2. I had one more important task today: make sure we have a prime rib roast for New Year's Day dinner. My plan had been to order one at Yoke's, but, I went to the meat section and I found a small roast. Is it big enough for Paul, Carol, Christy, Everett, and me? I imagined myself carving it and concluded it was. I delivered it to Carol and Paul's house, thinking I'd double check with Carol about the roast's size. She was napping. I plopped the roast in her fridge and texted her what I'd done and, by late afternoon, she responded with agreement that the roast was the right size.

3. Back home, things were quiet. The Deke played her guitar, sometimes humming, sometimes quietly singing lyrics. She also knit.  Patrick has been using a circle loom to make a hat for the woman he's spending a lot of time with in Portland. I cleaned the kitchen and put leftover potato soup and seafood egg drop soup on the stove for us to help ourselves to at any time.

I also communicated with Stu and Byrdman, telling them that one of Kellogg High School's longtime teachers and coach, Ray Faraca, had died on Sunday.

Mary Rae Faraca, Ray's wife, and Kellogg High School's longtime English, journalism, speech, and drama teacher had died just two weeks earlier on December 8th.

The Faraca's son, Brett, came into the Inland Lounge on Christmas Day. He sat next to me, we started talking about his mom, and I asked him how his dad, Ray, was doing, not knowing Ray had died two days earlier. Brett was shaking. He told me how his dad had died at home while getting dressed. Brett tried to revive him, but Ray had died.

A funeral had been planned for Mary Rae on December 29th at 11:00 at St. Rita's church in Kellogg.

Now it will be a double funeral.

No comments: