Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/18/18: Christy Update, Zags Thump UTA, Leisurely Housekeeping

1. Here's what I know about Christy's condition today: Over night, she slept for four consecutive hours which made the night better than many of them have been. She experienced discomfort and, as always seems to be the case, she slept better as morning broke and it was time to get up. I know Christy followed the instructions the CdA nurse gave her on Monday. Christy said these tips were helpful and made things better. I know Christy ventured out into the world today and ran some errands, so she wasn't in the house all day. I spent about an hour and a half with Christy and Everett watching the Gonzaga basketball game and Christy seemed to be doing pretty well, all things considered. Had Christy not contracted this infection, today would have been her day for knee replacement number two. Christy commented that she thinks her knee knows today was supposed to be the day because the remaining bad knee has been especially cranky and painful lately.

Our neighbor, Jane, fixed a Swiss steak dinner for Christy and Everett, a big help. Jane made enough food that Christy invited me to have some, too, and it was mighty good.

I will be driving Christy to CdA on Wednesday, December 19 to see the doctor who was in charge of her at Kootenai Medical Center when she was hospitalized.

2. Having never been the member of an elite basketball team, I have no idea what it's like for elite players like the Zags have to play a high powered team like North Carolina on Sunday, fly back across the USA to Spokane, and play a far inferior opponent on Tuesday. Tonight, the University of Texas at Arlington were no match for Gonzaga and about midway through the second half, I came home. When I got home, I flipped the game on just in case something interesting happened and, for me, it did. Coach Mark Few cleared his bench with quite a bit of time left in the game, and I enjoyed getting to see some players in action who haven't played much this season. They played hard, were ragged, and I'd like to say that I could clearly see what the future of Gonzaga basketball looks like, but, I couldn't. Many of these second and third stringers looked like what they are: young, raw, inexperienced, and eager.

3. I have been living at a pretty slow pace lately. I make short lists of things to do around the house and I approach these tasks leisurely. Today, I emptied the refrigerator and cleaned the shelves and washed out the crisper drawers. One of the freezer drawers had spilled crab stock in it and I cleaned it. Doing tasks around the house at my own pace is enjoyable -- laundry, dishes, sweeping the floors, taking care of bills, and so on.

I also made my monthly visit to the clinic to have blood drawn for the University of Maryland Transplant Center. It turns out, though, that something came up today and the lab was unexpectedly closed. No problem. I'll buzz up Wednesday morning and get this done.

No comments: