Monday, December 3, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/02/18: Christy's Recovery, Rye Beers at Mad Bomber, Scouting the Dawgs

1. I was with Christy for about three hours, until 2 this afternoon. She was feeling much better, didn't seem to be in a lot of pain (she reported 3 out of 10 to her nurse), and is getting a clearer idea of what lies ahead. The medical staff is determining what antibiotics she should take at home. She might be released on Monday, December 3, but that was still to be nailed down. She'll have a in-home nurse visiting her to treat her wound. The wound will take in the neighborhood of four weeks to heal. She learned more about what she and Everett will need to do to keep surfaces in their house clean and disinfected. Hand washing is crucial. Christy showed me a picture of the wound and I can see why it's painful. I never doubted that it was, but the picture helped me understand much better what Christy is up against.

2. When I left Kootenai Medical Center, I zipped over to Byrdman's house and we rocketed up to Mad Bomber Brewing. Most of the patrons were zeroed in on the Seahawks playing the 49ers, but we were indifferent and found a table near the popcorn machine where we could yak and eat a couple or three bowls of popcorn. The football fans were fairly reserved so yakking was easy. I always enjoy Mad Bomber a lot, both its beer and its down to earth atmosphere. I started off with a pint of Tomahawk Rye IPA and was so enamored with this rye beer that I ordered a pint of 1605 Rye, their regular rye ale. I don't have words to describe what it is I enjoy about rye beers, but, then, I don't really have words to explain what I enjoy about rye bread either! Rye pleases me. That's all I got.

3. Back home, I ate more of my tangy potato soup and got laundry going and began to think ahead for what business I need to tend to this week: medical stuff, probably a visit to the dentist, blood draw, some insurance details, phone calls about household matters, and help Christy come home. I took my mind off of some of this stuff by watching the second half of the UC Santa Barbara/UWashington basketball game to get an idea of what kind of team the Zags will face Wednesday when they play the Dawgs. The Zags will have their hands full with the UW's big guy inside, Noah Dickerson, a senior with strength and great footwork. He's a force. The Huskies also have experienced guards who are seniors and a high scoring sophomore guard, Jaylen Nowell. They play tight defense. They have some depth. The Zags will definitely be tested on Wednesday evening.

No comments: