Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 12/10/18: Snow Removal, Kidney Research, Short Deck Hold 'Em Poker

1. It snowed a bit in Kellogg overnight. Even though chances were good that it would melt on its own, I shoveled our walks and driveway. I'd rather not have snow piled on snow should another snowfall arrive before this one melted.

2. I'm slowly, surely trying to sort out the ins and outs of a kidney friendly diet. Reducing animal protein is straightforward, but eating other sources of protein and cutting back on potassium is a little trickier. It's a numbers thing. I need a certain amount of potassium, but need to be careful about too much and I haven't quite been able to commit to memory how much low potassium food is within the range of what is best for me to consume. In a perfect world, there'd be a bookstore nearby with a kidney disease section and I could browse kidney disease cookbooks. Ha! For now, I'll just keep reading materials from the well-known kidney disease websites and try to get these numbers and percentages fixed in my mind so I can more intelligently read ingredient lists and so that the food I buy and prepare for myself is supporting what kidney function remains.

3. While I fiddled around with this and that and took care of some business this evening, I put NBCSN on the television and kept an eye on their replay of the 2018 Poker Masters tournament held in September. Of particular interest to me were two games I'd never watched before, Pot Limit Omaha and Short Deck Hold 'Em. Pot Limit Omaha is difficult for me to watch casually because each player has four down cards. I have trouble keeping track of the action. Short Deck Hold 'Em is Texas Hold 'Em played with a thirty-six card deck -- the 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s are gone. Fewer cards in the deck means more action. This game also has different hand rankings -- for example, a flush beats a full house in this game. And, interestingly, the Ace can be the high card at the end of a 10-J-Q-K-A straight and it can become a 5 in an A-6-7-8-9 straight. It was fun watching this game being played and the players who were interviewed think its popularity will increase as more players become familiar with it.

Sidebar: A couple of player said that this game could become very popular among recreational players playing cards in their homes because everyone at the table is involved in more hands more often than in full deck Texas Hold 'Em where it's not uncommon at, say, a seven hand table for a player to fold the hand he's dealt multiple times in a row and go for twenty or thirty or more minutes never playing a hand.

No comments: