Monday, August 5, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/03/19: Still Alive at 65 Resumes, The Best Potluck Dinner, Cornhole and a Roaring Fire

1.  I knew that today would be a high holy day for those of us gathered at the river to celebrate turning 65 years old. I arrived at Sharon and Danny's river property in the Sube not long after noon. I promised myself I wouldn't have much to drink today. Upon arrival, I couldn't resist enjoying a small glass of Sharon's tasty and potent sangria. I finished it and, from that point on, all I drank was water. I enjoyed having a clear head as the day progressed, as more and more people arrived, and as I listened to volumes of stories about what people are up to now and stories about the deep past.

These get togethers sometimes make me wish I'd been a little crazier in my younger days so I'd have great tales to tell, but, alas, telling tales about falling in love with Shakespeare and working in the Chaplain's office and teaching English for many years aren't very interesting! Ha! So, I enjoy taking in stories of others' escapades. I had a lot of fun looking through Sharon's scrapbook of pictures of previous reunions and birthday parties and other parties over the years. I also enjoyed quiet conversations with people one on one and learned a lot, especially about how some of our elders, that is, parents who are still alive, are doing and about losses we have all suffered. It's inevitable that, at this stage of life, conversation will turn to loss and inevitable that many of us  find ourselves talking about medical challenges we have faced and are working with now. I deeply appreciate the support we lend one another as these stories come out.

2. Around five o'clock, Sharon and Joni and others loaded up three or four tables with the superb food people brought and our potluck dinner got underway. The tables were loaded with generous and delicious contributions: noodle salad, macaroni salad, pasta salad, different styles of fried chicken, ham, Kathy Van Hoose Jenkin's moist, beautifully decorated, and mouthwatering chocolate cake (I think she bakes cakes professionally out of her home), pie, a variety of chips and other snacks, and so much more.  As we ate, I got to visit with Judy Jacobs about hiking and tell her she has inspired me and she told me about hikes she's enjoyed and how much good hiking does to improve her state of mind as well as her physcial fitness.

3. I have been enjoying craft beers for several years. Almost every brewery or taproom I've visited makes the playing of cornhole available to its customers. I've sat back mulitple times and watched men and women toss bean bags at the inclined board with a hole near the top, trying to toss bags into the hole, or, at least, land bags on the board. Until today, I had never played. But, after dinner, Stu and I paired up as a team and Ed and Joni paired up as our opponents, and we had ourselves a fun game of cornhole. Stu was the most experienced player and it showed, but Joni, Ed, and I all succeeded in tossing a bag into the hole -- I only succeeded once, but it was a game winning toss! With that toss, Stu and I reached the magic number of 21 and secured a hard fought victory over Joni and Ed. We had a blast. I understand why this game is so popular.

Speaking of craft beer, since I didn't drink beer today, I didn't drink any of the beers Rocky brought me from Boise, but, Sharon rounded me up a double paper bag and Rocky pulled seven different cans, seven different styles of Boise area beer, ranging from peach beer to brown ale, out of his cooler for me to take home. I can hardly wait to drink them and let Rocky know what I think -- I have no doubt that I will enjoy them immensely.

As darkness fell and our bellies were full and the North Idaho river and mountain air began to cool to a chill, Danny built another roaring fire and those present sat in a circle and continued to tell stories, make funny remarks, and enjoy one another's company. I lasted for a while, but fatigue caught up to me, and, grateful to be driving completely sober, I leapt into the Sube and blasted back down the river and back to I-90 and returned home, happy to have been with so many great friends and ready for a night of sweet and satisfying sleep.

No comments: