Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/19/19: Hiking Mindset, Photographing Coal Creek, Evening with the Costas

1.  I am discovering that my mindset is important to me as I set out to hike. I'd say that starting back in June, I considered every hike a workout -- I was thinking of hitting the trails as going to the gym. That mindset works in one very important way: I am hiking about five times a week because I think regular exercise might help me fend off kidney dialysis. I am feeling really good and hiking helps me continue to feel good.

Recently, though, I've turned my attention away from the workout mindset and my hikes have become much more about enjoying the splendor of the woods and the water, the low lying foliage and the towering trees, the shade and the cool air, and the relaxation of being in the midst of the natural world. My hikes have become less about racking up steps and racking up miles. I've been hiking less with a physical destination in mind and, instead, have been deciding how much time I'm going to spend outdoors on a given day. For some reason, saying "I'm going to spend three hours on Coal Creek Trail today" instead of saying "I'm going to hike to the end of Coal Creek Trail today" has put me in a better mindset to take pictures. I've enjoyed that.

2. So, around 2:00 this afternoon, trusting in the shady coolness of the Coal Creek Trail on this fairly hot day, I returned to Coal Creek and told Debbie I'd be back home around 4:30. I hiked as far as the bridge which crosses the creek. It's at this landmark that the trail ascends into higher elevations and the hike becomes more strenuous. Some time soon, I'll give myself something more like five or so hours, get an earlier start, and hike to the end of the Coal Creek Trail. But, today, I hiked this trail for the first time with my Sigma 18-200mm lens mounted on my Nikon. I stopped frequently to take pictures. Because Coal Creek is so mesmerizing, it's tempting to only photograph the different moods of the water. I did that. I also gave more attention to pictures that didn't include the water. At the bottom of this page, I'll post some of my pictures.

I have a lot to learn about taking pictures in drainages like Placer and Coal Creek and others. When I returned home today, I discovered that for a handful of my shots, my shutter speed was too slow and the pictures were blurry. I am learning I have work to do in dealing with the varieties of light in these creek beds. I look forward to returning to the Pulaski Trail and to Coal Creek (and to other creekside trails). I hope to continue to learn how to take better pictures in these places. 

3. Christy, Debbie, and I went over to Dick and Renae Costa's condo this evening for a few hours of cocktails, snacks, and a delicious sloppy Joe dinner. Christy and I have known Dick for as long as we have memory. Dick Costa, Sr. and our dad were great friends. I was remembering tonight that the very first World Series game I ever saw on television was in 1961 at the Costa home when the Yankees played the Reds. I also have fuzzy memories of a camping/fishing trip our family went on with the Costas and others. Did we go up Senator Creek? I'm not sure. I think I remember Mom being very nervous about riding on the narrow bumpy dirt roads that were on the edge of steep banks in the CdA River drainage. I have a picture somewhere of Dad and me next to a case of Lucky Lager beer in the woods and I've always thought this picture was taken on this trip.

Christy and I go back about forty-six years with Renae -- she moved to Kellogg in 1973 and taught with Mom at Silver King and, later, she and Christy both taught in Kellogg School District #391. When we get together, a lot of friendly ghosts are at the table with us. Mom and Dad, Dick and Onnie (sp?), teachers from when we were young who have passed away, and, it seems, scores of people from around Kellogg and the Silver Valley whom Dick, Renae, Christy, and I knew. So, tonight, my concentration was on the present and what's happening with all of us in 2019. At the same time, I was also living in the past, experiencing rushes of memories and scenes that occurred long ago.

* Here are some pictures from the Coal Creek Trail, #41:











No comments: