Sunday, August 18, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/17/19: Resting, Improvised Dinner, Blues Music

1. All day, my legs felt heavy and rubbery. I was tired. I rested all day. On Friday, I took nearly 40 black and white pictures on the Coal Creek Trail and, today, as I always do, I posted all of them on flickr. Some looked pretty good to me. Some of them looked better to me on flickr -- a pleasant surprise -- than they had when I first viewed them and others just didn't work very well. If you'd like to survey these pictures, the ones that worked and the ones that didn't, just click here.

2. I had much of the day to myself. I worked crossword puzzles. I cleaned the kitchen. I listened to more JJ Cale, read a little more about his style of music, and, eventually, I cooked myself a simple and delicious dinner of sauteed red onion, zucchini, celery, and mushroom over jasmine rice. In the middle of it all, I added a layer of two teaspoons of Kalamata olive dip, and topped it all with feta cheese.

3. Listening to JJ Cale prompted me to learn more about the blues, so I watched a couple of shows on Amazon Prime. The first was entitled The Story of the Blues. I'll look for other similar documentaries and watch this one more. The second was a documentary that tried to figure out how Portland and Eugene developed such vigorous blues scenes, especially in the 1980s and early 1990s. It's called Portland Mojo: How Stumptown Got the Blues and featured interviews with and performances by such Portland/Eugene blues luminaries as Bill Rhoades, Curtis Salgado, Paul deLay, Lloyd Jones, Paul Jones, Terry Robb, and several others. I enjoyed hearing all the stories and hearing bits of these musicians' music. If I could go back in time, I would return to Eugene and spend time at the Good Times, Luna's, WOW Hall, The Place, Taylors, and other venues that featured these musicians and listen to them. But, I was preoccupied with other pursuits back then, was going out listening to other kinds of live music, and never entered into the world of local blues music.

No comments: