Friday, August 30, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08-29-19: Excursion, Slow Day, Steak Dinner and Cider Dessert

1. Adrienne, Jack, Josh, Patrick, and Meagan spent the day in CdA and Spokane. Patrick, Meagan, and Jack rode horses in Hayden. They all went to downtown Spokane, rode the gondola over the Spokane Falls, looked around, and made a stop at Pilgrim's in CdA. I don't think I quite kept up as they talked about their day of everything they did, but it sounded like a full day and they seemed happy upon their return.

2. I slowed down today. I listened to JJ Cale. I worked a couple crossword puzzles. I watched some poker being played on television.

3. When everyone returned home, we got dinner preparations under way. I had texted to Patrick that I wanted to "collaborate" on preparing the steaks, but what I was really saying was that I wanted him to take over. He likes to make a mushroom sauce for steaks. He enjoys meticulously seasoning and frying steaks and giving them just the right amount of cooking/resting time. I hung around the kitchen, enjoying a couple of Imperial IPAs, one from Ninkasi and one from Widmer Bros., in case Patrick needed anything, but he handled his chef duties masterfully. Debbie roasted corn on the cob in the oven -- it was superb -- and she made a very tasty tomato (leafless) salad.

Christy gave me a 22 oz. bottle of Cinnamon Caramel Cider from One Tree back on Easter. I'd tasted this cider once before, at One Tree, with Meagan and Patrick. I was thrilled to have this bottle of hard cider, but I couldn't drink it alone and I've been waiting for the right occasion to open and split it. Tonight was the night. After dinner, Meagan, Patrick, and I were on the deck and I suggested we drink the Cinnamon Caramel Cider together as our dessert. They happily agreed to my idea and we continued our conversations and thoroughly enjoyed our cider.


No comments: