Thursday, August 15, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/14/19: Rest, Reading More Travel Writing, Crosswords

1.  Over the years, I've read that days of rest are important to physical health, interspersed with days of exercise. Today, my legs felt heavy and I felt sluggish after my hike on Monday and my bike ride on Tuesday. I took a day off to rest and regenerate.

2. With every piece I read, I am increasingly happy that I bought The Best American Travel Writing 2018. Here's a list of what I read today. 

I read Ryan Knighton's, "Out of Sight". Knighton is blind and his account of going on a safari in Zimbabwe is fascinating. It's here (under a different title).

Pam Houston recently published a new book, Deep Creek: Finding Hope in the High Country. The collection of travel writing I'm reading includes "Some Kind of Calling", the introduction to Houston's book. In it, Houston tells about her decision, in 1993, to buy the ranch where she's lived ever since. It's in the Colorado high country, near the headwaters of the Rio Grande River. Houston writes about how she has come to understand this turning point in her life over twenty years later. It's right here.

Rabih Alameddine, in "Hope and Home" describes and reflects upon his several visits with Syrian refugees in Lebanon and Greece. I wish this piece were published online. It's a striking portrayal of displaced people working to establish some kind of normalcy, largely through hospitality, in the midst of terrible loss and suffering.

Ryan Manning grew up in Flint, Michigan and chronicles his return to Flint, his personal history there, and digs into how the water crisis Flint is experiencing has its roots in the city's complicated history with the auto industry. It's here.

3. Tuesday, I ordered a book of 200 Wednesday (medium level of difficulty) New York Times crossword puzzles. It arrived today. I completed three puzzles today, adding to my day's rest and relaxation.

No comments: