Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/27/19: Dryer Delivered, Mattress Delivered, Dinner and Book Talk at Radio

1. While Josh, Adrienne, Jack, and Debbie rode the gondola up to the Silver Mountain ski area, I got some things done around the house and I called Sherri at Watts Appliance to get an idea of when our dryer would be delivered. True to her word, she and Brock arrived around 3:30 or so and we now have a new large capacity dryer hooked up, ready to go. And, as is their practice, Sherri and Brock moved the old one out the door.

2. Debbie had made arrangements for Patrick and Meagan, when they arrive on Wednesday, to stay with our neighbor, Jane, but Jane has a guest staying with her who fell ill. By securing one more mattress so I can sleep on the floor in the Vizio room, we can make it work for everyone to stay in our house. I got to thinking that it was possible that Carol and Paul might have an extra twin bed mattress at their house and, sure enough, I was right. So after the dryer installation, I buzzed over to Carol and Paul's and picked up the twin mattress Carol told me I could use, along with sheets and blankets, and I brought it home and got it into the house with no problem at all.

3. While I was picking up the mattress and putting it in the house, Debbie, Adrienne, Josh, and Jack were at Radio Brewing for dinner.  I was glad the house was empty when I brought the mattress home.  It just made things simpler for me. 

I joined everyone at Radio and drank a ten ounces pour of IPA and enjoyed a delicious Korean rice bowl with shrimp. During dinner, Adrienne talked about the fascinating reading she's been doing. I especially enjoyed having some conversation about Toni Morrison which brought back some great memories of the one or two times I centered the WR 123 course around the book, Beloved, and students did research projects growing out of the book's subject matter. I thought to myself that if I were still teaching and if WR 123 were still being widely offered at LCC (the course is down to one section this fall), now would be a ripe time to work with Beloved because of the surge in research and writing that has been done lately on slavery -- especially the recently published 1619 project. 

No comments: