Sunday, August 25, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/24/19: VFW Breakfast, Conked Out, *Different Drummers*

1. It being the fourth Saturday of the month, I hopped into the Sube and blasted up to Osburn for the once a month Saturday morning breakfast at the VFW Hall. I enjoyed a couple huckleberry pancakes, some link sausage, and scrambled eggs. I yakked a little bit with DJ while he was busing tables, said hi to Eileen, working in the kitchen, but didn't know anyone else in the room and quietly ate my breakfast and pondered things.

2. Back home, after an hour or so, I suddenly felt groggy, wiped out and I fell into a deep sleep. For the rest of the afternoon and on into the evening, I continued to rest, occasionally nodding off. On Friday, when I hiked into Cranky Gulch, I thought I had recovered from my demanding hike into Lower Stevens Lake, but today I thought otherwise. I took it easy all day, working crosswords, watching baseball and a little golf on television, and turning down an invitation from Debbie to join her at the Lounge.

3. Spokane's public television station, KSPS, has been running a program called Northwest Profiles for many years and, through my PBS membership, I have access to the program's archive. Before I went to bed, I watched a handful of profiles of different people and organizations from around the Inland Northwest. I took a particular interest in a segment that looked a movie, filmed in Spokane, entitled Different Drummers (2013), that was written and co-directed (with Lyle Hatcher) by a Whitworth graduate, a stellar pianist and artist of many talents, Don Caron. Don Caron graduated from Whitworth the year after me. I immediately recognized his name, but I can't remember if we were ever acquainted.

If you'd like to see more information about this movie, go here. If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, the movie is available to you. It's a family movie. It's about a boy with MS who can hear God speak to him. Some viewers place it in the Christian genre. One viewer complained that it wasn't Christian enough. I'll watch it one day and see what I think (but I won't be holding it up to any Christian litmus tests).

No comments: