Sunday, August 11, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/09/19: Driving Montana and REI, Dinner and Live Music at the Top Hat, Jerry Douglas and Tommy Emmanuel Enchant the Wilma

1. I took Charly over to Carol's and Paul's, tidied up the kitchen, cleaned myself up, and hit the road for Missoula. I stay in my lane when I drive east of Lookout Pass as slowly as the traffic will allow me -- around 60 to 65 mph. I enjoy driving a little bit slowly and taking in the gorgeous Montana landscapes when I drive in Montana. Upon my arrival, I went straight to REI and spent a couple of hours looking at clothes, rain gear, books, maps, insect repellent, bear spray, first aid kits, and hiking boots. The shoes I hike in now are very comfortable, but I'd something thicker on the bottom for when I hike on rocky trails and, I think, a hiking boot or shoe might give me better traction. My feet are finicky. If shoes don't fit me well, my big toes get angry and inflamed and begin to swell. It's like faux gout. So, I'm very careful when buying shoes of any kind. I tried on four different pairs of hiking wear at REI.  I wasn't confident that any of them fit correctly so I didn't buy any and I will continue my quest here in North Idaho. I did however purchase a rain jacket, a pair of hiking pants that convert easily into hiking shorts, a first aid kit, and insect repellent. I'll get bear spray on another shopping trip.

I rented a room for the night in an airbnb about seven miles north of Missoula on a dirt road in the woods. It's a secluded and quiet house with fresh air and excellent views of the surrounding mountains. I arrived at the house around four o'clock, was warmly greeted by the host, Flannery, and I quickly settled into my room. I didn't linger long, however,  because I wanted to go downtown.


2. I drove downtown, turned off of Higgins Ave onto Front St. and, much to my delight, I found a parking spot almost directly in front of the Top Hat and just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Wilma Theater. At the Top Hat, I enjoyed a couple of refreshing gin and tonic cocktails and ate a splendid meal: mixed greens salad as a side to a plate of spicy shrimp and grits. Around 6 o'clock a short cool woman in a black dress who looked, to me, strikingly like Michelle Williams' character in Take This Waltz fronted an electric band who played a string of original and most enjoyable songs. Top Hat has a Family Friendly couple of hours on Fridays and the place was packed with children who took over the space in front of the stage and turn it into a toddler's mosh pit. Delighted moms and dads kept a close eye on their kids. Some joined in and danced with the tykes. Others stood back, crying out things like, "Good job, Liam!" and "Dance nice, Sophie!" and "Love you, Taylor!".  It was a very good scene.

3. I went to the Wilma to hear two of the best acoustic instrumentalist I know of: dobro player Jerry Douglas and guitarist Tommy Emmanuel. It was an uplifting, invigorating night of virtuosity in a superb venue. Jerry Douglas opened the evening and straight away played, "A Tribute to Peador O'Donnell" and my insides quaked and my shoulders shook, I was so happy to hear this composition of his, one I'm familiar with. As the concert progressed, Jerry Douglas finished his set, Tommy Emmanuel came out after intermission. I loved the variety. Both Jerry Douglas and Tommy Emmanuel played a generous number of original tunes, but they also covered songs by Tom Waits, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen, Leadbelly, Paul Simon, Chick Corea, and others and Tommy Emmanuel played sublime versions of "Tennessee Waltz" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". The two teamed up and played for or five songs to end the show.

Last December, Tommy Emmanuel and Jerry Douglas played in Spokane at a time I was uncertain about some things and so I didn't buy a ticket. A while back, I was stoked to discover they were coming back to this area and playing the Wilma in Missoula. I loved this concert. My life now has been blessed by two superb concerts in Montana by masters of acoustic instruments. Back in 1992, I was out driving Montana over several days and nights.  I wandered into Bozeman and took a walk. I saw a notice stapled to a telephone pole that Leo Kottke and David Lindley were playing that night. I hot-footed it to the venue's box office and, thank God, the show wasn't sold out and, like tonight, I got to attend a stirring and uplifting night of music. Two shows. Twenty-seven years apart. Both unforgettable, both among the very best concerts I've ever been to. I hope one night, whether in Montana or another state, I can be so lucky again.

No comments: