Monday, August 5, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 08/04/19: The Morning After, Honoring Jim Vergobbi, After the Celebration

1.  Several revelers who took part in this weekend's "Still Alive at 65" party stayed overnight up the river in a tent, trailer, or camper. I knew when I left Saturday night that these lifelong friends of mine would be sitting around a coffee pot on Sunday morning spending some more time yakkin'.

Around 8 this morning, Jeri and Don came by the house and we drank coffee and had a great visit about our lives these days, a more extended conversation than we'd had at the party. They were on their way to see Don's brother on Lake Coeur d'Alene and, after about an hour, had to get going. We embraced, told each other we hoped to see one another soon, and bade one another good-by for now.

I vaulted back into the Sube and blasted up the river to join the coffee circle in front of Danny and Sharon's trailer. To my delight, not only were several friends present, but there was more food! Bagels, cream cheese, huckleberry jam, and spinach quiche. Soon Jake arrived with a box of doughnuts. It was an awesome way to bring our high holy days of celebrating to an end. I had a big afternoon ahead of me, so after visiting for over an hour or so, I announced I had to get going to get ready for my big afternoon. More farewells. More hugs. Huge smiles. I was off.

2. This afternoon, the Elks Club hosted a major event in the life and history of Kellogg, Idaho and Shoshone County. Lifelong resident and former city councilman, mayor, county commissioner, and father, grandfather, and area wide friend, Jim Vergobbi died on July 9th and this afternoon a lively throng gathered to mourn and to celebrate his life.

It was a perfect event. Starting between 1:30 and 2:00 people of all ages from all parts of Jim's life mingled, enjoyed cocktails, beer, or wine, and reveled in one another's company. Some time after 2:30, Jim's son, Dave, assumed his role as the master of ceremonies. We watched videos of Jim singing and later of him dancing. Jim's grandson Alexander sang "My Way" as a tribute to Jim. First, Dave, and then Jim's daughters, Cathryn and April, told stories about their dad. and then Dave opened the floor to anyone who wanted to add their stories and we heard from Jim's lifelong friend Donnie Rinaldi, a couple of Jim's grandchildren, a Benewah County commissioner, from Jim's fellow Shoshone County commissioner Sherry Krulitz, and other friends.

3. As is often the case at these events at the Elks Club, Jim's celebration of life kicked into a higher gear when the planned program ended. Christy and I stayed until nearly seven o'clock and I got to talk more with Mike Wilson -- he and his wife, Carol, hosted Kenton, his wife Gerri, and me two weeks ago at their lake place and we commemorated the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and Mike's, Kenton's, and my participation at the Boy Scout Jamboree; I got to visit with Kenton and Gerri; Cathryn Vergobbi and I had not seen each other since 1992 and enjoyed having a long talk; I reminisced with Bob Dumont; I shared some words with Dave Vergobbi; Deni Rinaldi popped in around 6 o'clock and I loved seeing her; I talked with other people and saw many familiar faces across the crowded room, faces of people I first knew when I was a little boy,

My lasting impression from this Celebration of Life was that Cathryn, Dave, and April were  touched and comforted by the enthusiastic turnout, that so many people, mostly from the Kellogg area, turned out to honor and celebrate Jim and to offer their condolences. Since I've moved back to Kellogg, I've attended at least seven memorials, including Mom's, and every single one of them has been a lively coming together of friends and family to share in the wide range of emotions we feel when a loved one passes away. At these memorials, I've reunited with old friends I hadn't seen for decades. I've heard stories about those who have died I'd never heard before. I've been deeply impressed by the outpouring of love and support so many in our community have extended to the families who have suffered the loss of one of their own. Yes. It's good to be back.

No comments: