Thursday, June 9, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-08-2022: A Quick and Positive Doctor Appointment, Solid Visit to CdA, Puzzling Out NBA Basketball

 1. I write the same thing every time I report on my latest visit to the nephrologist.

Unless your kidney disease is at Stage V, you don't want my kidney function numbers.

That said, for reasons I think having to do with the fact that I'm not diabetic and don't have heart disease or any other ancillary complications, my kidneys are doing a great job filtering my blood despite functioning at only 16% of normal functioning capacity.

So, when I met with Dr. Bieber today, his words as we looked at my lab report were, "This is fantastic."

I'm not experiencing water retention, my weight (and I weigh too much) is remains stable, and I'm not suffering from the symptoms of kidney disease (short of breath, metallic taste in my mouth, fatigue, etc.).

My blood pressure was high, 156/82, in the office, but when I got home, it was down to where it should be, 126/78. I really must monitor my blood pressure more closely so that if it is reading higher on a regular basis, I can let Dr. Bieber know.

2. As I thought I would, I left Dr. Bieber's office very happy that this disease I live with is remaining stable.

I wouldn't say that I decided to celebrate by going to Coeur d'Alene, but I drove over and paid off the heating/cooling installation bill, ate a terrific eggs Benedict breakfast at the Breakfast Nook, bought Christy a couple of fifths of Crown Royal Peach Whiskey (and some gin for me!), got a haircut, and met up with Byrdman for a couple of beers at Growler Guys.

Growler Guys is the perfect place to meet early in the afternoon. The room is big, it's not very busy, and it's easy to grab a chair and for Byrdman and me to get in some serious yakkin' about sports and current events. 

I enjoyed drinking Pelican Brewing's Updrift IPA, a decidedly not hazy ale, a hoppy one with a fairly high bitterness rating, just what I was in the mood for.

Byrdman mentioned that the daughter of a hiking buddy of his, along with her husband, had recently opened an establishment nearby called Stylus Wine and Vinyl Bar.

We decided to pay this place a visit.

We made ourselves at home, seated on the comfortable stools at the bar. Behind and above the bar sit shelves of lp albums and just to our left, behind the bar, sit two turntables and a stand on which sits the album cover of the current lp being played.

I immediately loved the velvety sound of the vinyl being played and from their short, high quality tap list both of us ordered a Johnny Utah, a superb pale ale from Georgetown Brewing. The Johnny Utah is a single hop pale ale and it just so happens that I really enjoy the grapefruit-y flavor released by the Citra hop! 

3.  Back home, I finished the delicious crab stock fish-less chowder I made yesterday and relaxed by watching the Boston Celtics defeat the Golden State Warriors, 116-100. I don't watch a lot of NBA action and, to be honest, a style of play has developed in recent years in the NBA that I don't understand very well. Maybe as I watch more of this playoff series, I'll be able to explain myself better.

I can say, though,  that tonight the Celtics' somewhat hobbled Robert Williams impressed me with his defense, shot blocking, and strong play around the rim on both ends of the floor. I continue to be blown away by Steph Curry's versatility and his almost surreal talent, especially his long range shooting. Derrick White, for the Celtics, is a kind of player I've always enjoyed - he plays very good defense, is more than willing, unlike the dude in the Steely Dan song who says he's a fool, to do the Celtics' dirty work (but not play dirty). I'm also enjoying it when Payton Pritchard comes off the bench for the Celtics, especially when he buries a shot or hands out an assist in ways that remind me of his stellar play at the Univ. of Oregon.

So I enjoy these things, but the way the game is played in 2022 is a style I'm trying to learn to enjoy more, but I haven't quite reached that point yet -- but I want to! 

No comments: