Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-21-2022: Recovering at the Transfer Station, A/C and Loading Cardboard, Drinks at The Beanery

1.  I helped Christy bag up some yard waste and added her bags to several bags Paul had put in the pickup bed from his and Carol's yard. Christy also had some trash to go to the transfer station and I loaded that into the truck. I tolerate sunshine less and less the older I get. The same is true about heat. After a long stretch of wet weather in Kellogg, today the sun shone and temperature was, I think, higher than it's been this calendar year. 

As a result, I struggled at the transfer station moving and emptying the bags of wet green waste and mud. I had to take frequent breaks. At one point, I opened the passenger door to the truck and sat in the door frame, panting, trying to cool down, holding my face in my hands with my elbows on my knees. A thoughtful guy who was also emptying yard waste checked on me, asked me if I was all right. I told him I thought I was, I just needed time to recover. I knew I needed to hydrate. That turned out to be true. 

Once I was done emptying the bags of yard waste and disposing of the bags themselves, I backed into the trash emptying area of the transfer station. It was, mercifully, in the shade and I did much better tossing the bags of trash, worn out cushions, and other random stuff of Christy's into a trash pile.

2. Driving back home, I was very grateful for the A/C in the pickup. Once home, I cooled off in the house with the help of our A/C. I arrived home about 3:30 with one or two loads of cardboard still to take to the transfer station. The station closes at 4:00. I'll return on Wednesday in the morning. But, after I cooled down further, and while Christy took Riley for a run, I loaded Christy's cardboard along with a couple big pieces of ours into the pickup so that my next load is ready to go.

3. Now the entire Bean/Depot complex is called The Beanery. Debbie and I went to The Beanery around six or so and sat at a picnic table where we joined Mike Fitz and Deanne. I thoroughly enjoyed a couple of Maker's Mark and ginger beer with lime cocktails and had a great time talking with Mike about today's hearing and about the current state of Major League Baseball and the Dodgers, teams past and their current team. Debbie and I returned home to a pot of Mama Leone's chicken soup she made with leftovers from family dinner and this simple dinner capped off my day perfectly.

The only downside to going to the Beanery and arriving back home around 7:45 was that I missed the live stream of Bill Davie's Poetry Break. Drat! I know I can watch the archived video of it, but it's always fun to watch in real time. 

No comments: