Monday, June 13, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-12-2022: Family Dinner Prep, ZOOM and Aging, Googling My Dreams

 1. It looked likely today that I would be going to CdA on Monday to pay Jeff S. an afternoon visit. It turned out, though, that we are going to have breakfast on Tuesday morning. I learned that after I made the cole slaw I'm taking to family dinner on Monday. I'll reveal details about the cole slaw when I write in my blog tomorrow. I want the ingredients of this cole slaw to be a surprise at dinner -- I will say, though, that it is an oil and vinegar cole slaw, not dressed with a creamy dressing. 

2. Val, Bridgit, Bill, Diane, and I met on ZOOM this afternoon and much of our discussion involved topics around aging. Diane is on the cusp of ending her employment at the Univ of Washington by retiring. She told us about her retirement party -- it took place on ZOOM -- and how great it made her feel that people appreciated her over the years for being such a loving person, not merely for being good or useful at her job. 

We talked some about Medicare and Bill and Diane's persistence in getting things straightened out as they enroll in the program. It was sobering to also talk about the increase in our vulnerability as we age. We discussed what a difference it makes in so many aspects of our lives that we are so much less mobile than we used to be and knowing that we cannot as easily remove ourselves from certain situations makes us all the more cautious. 

Val will be traveling soon. Toward the end of the month she'll be in the Seattle area and will visit Bill and Diane and, as she heads east from there, she'll be coming through North Idaho and she and I will be able to meet for coffee or lunch. 

I haven't seen Val in person since the day of Dave V.'s wedding back in about 1993 or '94. We've had a lot of great contact since then on Facebook, on ZOOM, through email, through snail mail, and by other means, but not in one another's actual presence. It will be delightful to see Val, no doubt right here in the Silver Valley.

3. I had a funny and revealing experience today. On Saturday night on into Sunday morning, I had a series of dreams. I woke up with a sketchy memory of these dreams, but I wanted to recover more of the details. 

For just a few seconds I thought I'd figure out some key words and enter them into the Google search engine.

Then I suddenly remembered -- my dreams are not searchable on the World Wide Web. 

I turned sheepishly to other tasks. 

Has anyone else ever realized that you are so accustomed to being able to find stuff on the World Wide Web that you had a moment of thinking the details of your dreams would be there? 

No comments: