Sunday, June 12, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-11-2022: Creamy Vegetable Soup, Sverwood at Timbers Roadhouse, Update on Gibbs and Copper and Luna

1. As I pondered what I might do today, I realized that I had vegetables on hand and a recipe for creamy vegetable soup pinned under a magnet on the fridge. 

It was still morning when I chopped up half an onion I had left over along with some celery and carrots and cooked them in a puddle of olive oil and melted butter. After they cooked for about six or seven minutes, I added a couple cloves of chopped garlic, cooked it until fragrant, and then add chopped baby Yukon potatoes into the pot and covered it all with a box of chicken broth and tossed in some dried basil and oregano. When it came to a boil and cooked with the lid on for a while, I added frozen corn, frozen green beans, chopped zucchini, and chopped broccoli to the soup and let those vegetables cook for a short time. In the meantime, in another pot, I melted butter, added flour to it, whisked it, let it cook for a while and then added milk and cooked this mixture until it began to thicken. The last thing I did was add the milk/flour/butter mixture to the soup and heated it up at a low temperature. 

I peppered the soup in my bowl and, since I enjoy creamy soup a lot, this soup really hit the spot.

2. Shortly after 4:00, I leapt into the Sube and blasted out to Timbers Roadhouse in Cataldo and met up with Ed, Sue, and Sue's longtime nursing friend, Ruthie. Out behind the joint, Wallace Brewing, Radio Brewing, and Firestone Walker were selling beer and barbecue was available. 

The afternoon's prime attraction, however, was the band Sverwood, a local ensemble featuring lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, drums, male vocals, and a woman who sang on occasion. Sverwood is a cover band.  Their covers of Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Earle, the Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynryd, the Marshall Tucker Band, Credence Clearwater Revival, Bad Company,  and many other artists were energetic, precise, and uplifting. 

This band is really good. I'll follow them on Facebook, keep track of where they are playing, and get out to see them again whenever I can. 

3. This is as good a time as any to report that having Gibbs stay home with me and Luna and Copper while Debbie's been gone has worked out wonderfully.  I take Gibbs to bed with me at night and that's when Luna and Copper come out of the Vizio room and they do the same thing every night. Luna plants herself on the ottoman and Copper relaxes in the chair I sit in most often in the living room.  I spend time with Copper and Luna in the Vizio room whenever I watch games or a movie and not once have they seemed stressed out by our current arrangement. The other good news: the first night Gibbs was with me when we went to bed and the cats were out in the living room, Gibbs was restless and frequently barked at the cats from behind the bedroom door. 

After that first night, he barked like that again. He's been relaxed about the cats roaming on the other side of the door and has slept comfortably every night since that first restless one. 

No comments: