Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-27-2022: Shopping for Family Dinner, Chopped Salad Prep, Salads for Dinner

 1. I woke up this morning thinking that Debbie and I might go to CdA and so some grocery and possibly other kinds of shopping. When we decided to stay home, I reconsidered my plan to make a Japanese rice salad for family dinner and, after a fun consultation with Debbie, decided to make a no recipe chopped salad. I needed a few items for the salad and scooted over to Yoke's and purchased them. Once again, the checker at Yoke's who always asks what I'm preparing for dinner was available to ring up my groceries and she expressed delight when I told her about the salad.

2. I arrived home, spiffed up the kitchen, and got to work on the salad. I turned discs of salami into ribbons. I chopped up green onion, bok choy, red pepper, and yellow pepper. I cooked frozen corn kernels and cooled them. I put all of these ingredients in a bowl along with two cans of drained black beans and crumbled feta cheese. Debbie stepped up later and dressed the salad with a no recipe vinaigrette. I had bought a loaf of Ciabatta bread at Yoke's for dinner, but I forgot that Christy has also assigned Debbie and me to bring wine. Turned out that Christy had some wine on hand and we were off the hook! 

3. For family dinner tonight, Christy planned a dinner of salads. Christy made us each a root beer flavored cocktail to start -- I never quite got it straight what all she used to make this drink.  Debbie and I brought the chopped salad and bread, Paul made a pasta salad, and Christy made chef salad on skewers. Carol brought pub mix as an appetizer and Molly chopped up watermelon to accompany the salads. For dessert, Christy served us Drumstick ice cream cones.  

Carol and Paul will have a house full of family at their house later this week and then Carol's birthday dinner will be on Sunday. We had a lot to talk about regarding where people are staying, how dogs will get along, and what this busy period of time might look like. We also talked quite a bit about popular music. Christy played music while we were together from three different Pandora stations so we heard 80s summer music, music from the Summer of Love, and music under the heading of Soul BBQ.  The music gave us a lot to talk about. 

All the eating and talking and music made time flew by. I looked up at the clock at around 8:00 and realized I hadn't fed Copper and Luna. So I came home and got that done. 

No comments: