Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-28-2022: The Cake's Not Baked, Health Talks, Citrus

 1. Back when I was in my fifties, I frequently tuned into Bob Valvano's show on ESPN radio. Valvano frequently uttered a saying, or a maxim, I really like and that I try to keep in mind all the time. Valvano was a proponent of letting things play out, whether in sports or in other aspects of life. He advised against rushing to judgment, advised against thinking we could know what the future would bring, advised against getting worked up about things we don't know are true just yet. 

His saying was "Let the cake bake." 

I watched today's unexpected Select Committee hearing and listened to a lot of discussion about Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony.

There are more hearings to come.

I don't know where the committee's work will lead.

I don't know what the Department of Justice will ultimately do.

I listen. 

I contemplate. 

I respect those willing to testify under oath and under great pressure not to do so.

And, well, I am of the let the cake bake mindset. 

I have no predictions.  

I'll continue to pay attention and see how this all works out -- and I don't really know what "all works out" means. 

2. Debbie arrived home after being out and about much of the afternoon. She's been socializing for a while over at The Beanery and had a little bit of news about life in Kellogg. Debbie and I have been in conversation for nearly twenty-five years now about our health, our physical health and our mental health. Our conversation this evening turned toward talking about mental health and we caught each other up on how things are going in that aspect of our lives. It didn't take long, but it was sure enlightening and further strengthened our mutual understanding of each other.

3. Debbie and I reached an easily reached agreement this evening: we should always have plenty of lemons on hand -- well, we should always have plenty of citrus fruits on hand, especially oranges, limes, and lemons.

I was all for this because I enjoy drinking a short pour of gin combined with fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Debbie enjoys bourbon combined with fresh squeezed orange juice. I would like this too.

Debbie also really likes it when I mix her a Bourbon Renewal and a key ingredient of this cocktail is fresh squeezed lemon juice.

We also enjoy gin and tonics and a squeeze or two from a slice of lime enhances our pleasure of this favorite cocktail of ours. 

No comments: