Friday, June 17, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-16-2022: Roof Work Continues, CdA Shopping Spree, A Welcome Surprise at Daft Badger!

 1. Rodney went right to work at 7 this morning and continued putting a roof over our patio area.

2. I went to Yoke's a couple of days ago. The only parmesan cheese available was the Kraft kind in the green cylindrical can. I bought one -- and I enjoy this product in a nostalgic way! --, but we like to grate parmesan cheese from a block. Yoke's was also out of the coconut milk I like to buy. 

No problem. 

I understand stores everywhere face difficulties keeping any number of products in stock. 

BUT, I thought, I enjoy going to Costco, Fred Meyer, and Pilgrim's Market. Why don't I rocket over to CdA and make a stock the pantry shopping trip?

So I did. 

I had a great time in Costco. I was under no time pressure and I meandered all over the store, picking up things that were on my list and adding to my list -- we now have a bag of shrimp, a huge jar of peanut butter, bags of walnuts and cashews, a generous supply of antacid tablets, more ground Peet's coffee, and other items. I exchanged pleasantries with several shoppers ("the croissants are just past the meat counter", "no, you go ahead", "good! how are you?") and enjoyed casually observing what people buy and was impressed with how cooperative many children were with their shopping parents. I also bought a small block of hard cheese to grate for pasta! 

I always enjoy Fred Meyer, especially the Murray's cheese counter and checking out the beer selections; likewise, I had fun buying more beer at Pilgrim's and meandering around that store, picking up this and that. 

3. I finished at Pilgrim's and realized that about 3.5 to 4 hours had passed since I arrived at Costco in the middle of the afternoon. 

I chuckled. 

I had one more stop to make.

Daft Badger.

Debbie asked me to pick up a six pack of Daft Badger's Blood Orange IPA. 

I found out immediately upon entering the brewery that Daft Badger had sold out of Blood Orange IPA -- so I'll go back in a week and try again.

But, I slipped onto a chair at the front counter and ordered a Mosaic Smash IPA, brewed with only mosaic hops. Oh, my! It was a fresh, clean, refreshing, and flavorful beer -- not a juice bomb, not all that bitter, and a great pleasure to smell and drink. I finished my pint and asked for a taster, a four oz pour, of Daft Badger's superb Imperial Stout, Josiah's Revenge. It's a powerful beer, weighing in at 11% ABV, and it's packed with chocolate-y sweetness complimented with flavors of dried fruits. It's a bit thick, feels great in my mouth, and is among my very favorite of all Imperial Stouts. 

But, of course, I drink this beer with great caution. That's why I ordered such a small pour. 

As I was finishing up at Daft Badger, I thought I saw Jeff S's former partner and the mother their two daughters. As I left, I checked the tables in the room, but didn't see Jeff, but once outside I spotted Jeff and his future son-in-law's parents and others talking in a small knot in the parking lot.

I surprised Jeff with a pat on his shoulder and he introduced me to the father of the groom -- the wedding is Saturday -- and we had a great chat for about ten minutes. 

It fired me up.

I grabbed bite to eat as I left CdA and arrived back in Kellogg shortly before 9:00. 

No comments: