Saturday, June 11, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-10-2022: Iceland Burgers, Celtics Go Cold as Ice (Foreigner), Listening to Henry Winkler

 1. Ed and I blasted into the Elks Club dining hall, grabbed a table, each ordered in a beer, put in our burger order, and had a relaxing time. Ed told me about his trip to Iceland and showed me pictures of the mild weather they lucked into, the shimmering green of the Iceland spring, staggering waterfalls, and a fascinating horse breed unique to Iceland. Mike and Ed definitely made the most of their several day trip and Ed was very happy with how things went.

2. Back home, I tuned into Game 4 of the Celtics/Warriors NBA Championship Series. Byrdman, Terry T, and I were on the texter at the same time. Terry laid down a small wager via the Oregon Lottery regarding the game's total points and points scored by Jayson Tatum and Al Horford. He lost his bet, but it sure was fun rooting for his success along with keeping track of the game itself. I'm not quite sure what happened to the Celtics late in the fourth quarter, but they picked a lousy time to suddenly hit an ice cold shooting streak. While the Celtics froze, Steph Curry heated up and his 43 points carried the Warriors to victory, 107-97. The Celtics squandered a platinum opportunity to maintain home court advantage and go up 3-1 in this series; instead, they head to San Francisco, having lost their home court advantage, with the series tied 2-2.

3. After the game, I tuned into MSNBC and, to my delight, I hit the newscast just as the program took a break from current events. Stephanie Rhule conducted an interview with Henry Winkler that lasted at least ten minutes. His positive outlook on life, his commitment to gratitude, and his love of his work as an actor uplifted me. I didn't know until tonight that both Stephanie Rhule and Henry Winkler are dyslexic. Both of them talked a bit about their experience with dyslexia and spoke in general and positive terms about how they got to where they are in life in spite of the challenges dyslexia put before them. 

No comments: