Friday, June 3, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-02-2022: Reunion List is Growing, Ham Stock Soup, Return to Blissful Thursday

1. For our KHS Class of 72 50 year reunion, we made the fee a little less costly if a person registered by May 31. We got a good response. I'd been asked to post a list of who registered in May and today was the day to put that list up on our reunion Facebook page and now I'll send it out by email to people on the email list I've been compiling. 

2. I was scrounging around in our basement freezer the other day and saw that I had a quart of homemade ham stock in the freezer. I thought a simple soup would taste good so this afternoon I chopped up half an onion, a celery stalk, and an especially plump carrot. I cooked these for a while in olive oil and then added a can of cannellini beans and then poured the ham stock over it all. 

I didn't add any meat. The stock had plenty of ham flavor. I didn't season the soup either -- well, not in the pot. In my bowl, I added soy sauce, a move that made me very happy.

I loved this soup. I sure look forward to making ham stock again one day. All I need is a ham bone!

3. I missed out listening to Hard Rain and Slow Trains last week because I was devouring Japanese food in Seattle and relishing Carol C's pumpkin cheesecake back at hers and Hugh's house. 

I tuned in tonight, though, and listened to Dan's detailed account of his visit to the newly opened Bob Dylan Center in Tulsa and his descriptions of what treasures are contained there. 

Jeff followed Dan's show with a Grateful Dead tribute to summer weather beginning to arrive by playing the Grateful Dead performing "Dancing in the Street". He moved on to play some bittersweet tunes from the June 2, 1995 Shoreline show, performed just two months before Jerry Garcia passed away.

Jeff hadn't played Zero for a while and my bliss kicked into overdrive as he Jeff filled much of his second hour with live performances of Zero, a string of transporting tunes and superb jams. 


No comments: