Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 06-13-2022: Civil Conduct, Family Dinner/Birthday Party, Warriors Win

 1.  I don't always succeed in doing this, but my preference in social situations is to let people have their say and try not to interrupt them or just immediately say, "Well! I don't agree with that!". 

I'd say I'm successful much, but not all of the time. 

It's been a relief to me, watching the Congressional hearings investigating the 2020 Presidential election and its aftermath, that those testifying have spoken without interruption and that the committee has stayed focused on the business at hand. The civil nature of the hearings has opened the way for me to listen to and assess the testimony rather than be distracted by drama generated by committee members' conduct. I don't care if the hearings are "good TV" or not. I want to hear what those giving testimony have to say.

2. We got together this evening for a boisterous family dinner. Carol and Paul's Keeshond, Cleo, turned one year old today, so our dinner was also a canine birthday party. I left Gibbs at home. Riley came and he and Cleo had fun playing outside and were both pretty excited with Cleo's gifts -- both treats and toys.

We started dinner with potato chips and Carol's homemade onion dip along with Cosmopolitans that Carol gave a dog name --something like Double Dutch Keeshonds. For dinner, I brought an apple, carrot, and cabbage cole slaw enhanced with a rice vinegar, vegetable oil, honey, and Miso dressing. Carol prepared a brisket with bbq sauce, Christy made Mac and cheese, Betty Crocker style, and we finished off dinner with root beer floats, a fun and delicious rarity. 

3. Back home, I watched much of the fourth quarter of Game 5 of the NBA Finals. From my limited perspective, I thought the Celtics looked not quite ready for the mental demands of playoff pressure. The Warriors, on the other hand, having several key players with quite a bit of playoff finals experience, looked more assured, were able to overcome Steph Curry's poor shooting night, and won this game, 104-94. 

No comments: